• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Death Wobble

Zoro

NAXJA Forum User
This happened for the first time ever today, I've been on the highway 2 times in the XJ before& no wobbles, I hit the 55mph mark on the ramp and the wobble increases with my speed at about 65mph I can't stay in the lane so I went about 50 the whole rest of the trip.

Never had this happen to me before, maybe a tire balancing problem?
I'm running 235/75/R15's on stick rims& axles on a 1990 Cherokee Pioneer

if its a totally new problem and not something thats been building for a while i would say you lost 1 or more wheel weights... been wheeling it lately?? the 55mph mark is a big key to wheel balance issues..

No new lift, all the weights are there as far as I can tell, it was below freezing when I checked the weights, I touched the one to see if it was maybe loose but it felt mushy, kinda as if it was warmed up but the truck was cold as well.

even if his steering stabilizer was blown you shouldn't have the wobble. you are only masking a problem with that. i have driven my truck more than once with out it and never had an issue .she drives straight as an arrow all the way to 90/95 mph.i would say balance the wheels ,while they are doing that check the wheel bearings and ball joints.could be a tie rod end even.

Zoro said:
This happened for the first time ever today, I've been on the highway 2 times in the XJ before& no wobbles, I hit the 55mph mark on the ramp and the wobble increases with my speed at about 65mph I can't stay in the lane so I went about 50 the whole rest of the trip.

Never had this happen to me before, maybe a tire balancing problem?
I'm running 235/75/R15's on stick rims& axles on a 1990 Cherokee Pioneer

Everyone I know that has an XJ has a wobble at 55mph. Usually a tire rotate and balance cures the problem.

8700XJS

8700XJS said:
Everyone I know that has an XJ has a wobble at 55mph. Usually a tire rotate and balance cures the problem.

8700XJS

I have an XJ and don't have a wobble at 55 or any speed. To really have Death Wobble, there is something wrong, there is a small vibration that just builds and magnifies. You probbaly have either an out of balance or warped wheel which is compounded by other worn parts, or just have something wornout. You should check all of your front end suspension, wheel bearings, steering linkages, etc, for any play. If you are running at stock non lifted height, it is more than likely that its not a geometry issue and that you have something that is loose.

i have the problem but at any speed above 2nd gear. While taking a turn or hitting a little bump mine will shake. I mean bad shake to the point of having to slam on the brakes to make it stop. i have tried rotating tires, alignment, new ball joints, lower control arm, and new steering rods.

Back