• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Regretfully looking for opinions

orangetrek

NAXJA Forum User
Below are a few pics of what im up against trying to make a bush rig out of my 99 xj (going out to catch a trout and the like). I bought this thing in 2005 and for the past few years she's been laid up (in less than ideal conditions obviously) and ive been looking forward to getting 'er back on the road.

I wasn't going to bother posting pics of this heap but at this point i think i need some unbiased perspective.

6c5fdde6d265f20a0959a122e8cd6165.jpg

passenger side

2d4e02e7d812e8685c46b2eb5a2d1998.jpg

6c484daa7fd8f0d6e93483b481f9fd0e.jpg

85e730137988d17e193d166dcb648efd.jpg

Front drivers side

7d0138f8e7227c476aa2380ca072a5b0.jpg

1b4d1821ed57daaf6b15654ceb6ecca1.jpg

e88966a1b113989d1eda18436a5cd86c.jpg

Interior

8b5a2a38bc745a604e15c6e330e76932.jpg

b84ef9bfa825f2ce0aa2218dc70f34f8.jpg

Ive busted off 90% of the bolts that are removed.... do your worst folks, greatly appreciated

Ok. Im figuring nothings beyond fixing. Love the forum. Appreciate the lack of input. Means i should keep going :)

Please excuse my state of shock. Is this amount of rust common for Newfoundland? :wow:

Do you know how to weld? Do you own a MIG welder? You can order all kinds of body parts. Hopefully you have something to attach them to.

Please excuse my state of shock. Is this amount of rust common for Newfoundland? :wow:

Do you know how to weld? Do you own a MIG welder? You can order all kinds of body parts. Hopefully you have something to attach them to.
I have a welder. Im a little ways away from figuring out what exactly i have to do here. This rig wouldnt have lasted so long if only in NL. In ON until 2007

You can get a whole new floor pan or try to patch what you have.

Full Floor Pan

Individual Floor Pans

You can do a rocker replacement and I would just swap out the doors for healthy ones.

2x6 Rocker Replacement

I know you already ordered stiffeners but these guys make the best version out there.

Full Stiffener System

Not something you mentioned, but something I noticed. You can get this to replace your broken center console bracket.

Bracket

Last edited:
I hate to say this, but it needs a lot more than a floor pan. The "frame rails" appear to be toast as well. If the drive train is still good, I would look for a body only and swap every thing over. I did this when my I taco'd my old rig. As it turns out, I snagged a body only from a club member for hauling it off.

The shear amount of work replacing all the sheetmetal and getting the structural integrity back could end up taking multiple hundreds of hours, not to mention the cost.

It would be worth it to drive a few hundred miles and drag a different body home on a rented trailer. You life would be a ton easier and you would start with a known quantity. Just the cost of getting all the sheetmetal, getting everything sandblasted, and the metal stabilized, could run you $1000. Around here I can snag you a running vehicle with minimal rust for maybe $1500.

I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole. There's nothing there that is worth your time/money. I'd find a new<er> one w/ MUCH less rust. That thing is terminal, call hospice.

You can get a whole new floor pan or try to patch what you have.

Full Floor Pan

Individual Floor Pans

You can do a rocker replacement and I would just swap out the doors for healthy ones.

2x6 Rocker Replacement

I know you already ordered stiffeners but these guys make the best version out there.

Full Stiffener System

Not something you mentioned, but something I noticed. You can get this to replace your broken center console bracket.

Bracket
Those stiffeners look like a better option for sure... i should have done more research. The more i tear away from the thing the better idea ill have just exactly what im dealing with. Thanks for the links!

I hate to say this, but it needs a lot more than a floor pan. The "frame rails" appear to be toast as well. If the drive train is still good, I would look for a body only and swap every thing over. I did this when my I taco'd my old rig. As it turns out, I snagged a body only from a club member for hauling it off.

The shear amount of work replacing all the sheetmetal and getting the structural integrity back could end up taking multiple hundreds of hours, not to mention the cost.

It would be worth it to drive a few hundred miles and drag a different body home on a rented trailer. You life would be a ton easier and you would start with a known quantity. Just the cost of getting all the sheetmetal, getting everything sandblasted, and the metal stabilized, could run you $1000. Around here I can snag you a running vehicle with minimal rust for maybe $1500.
The only absolutely terrible portion of the rails seem to be in the front, hoping the stiffeners will bridge the structural gap. I dont mind spending the time getting it back on the road but there may come a point when the expense will shut this project down.

As for getting a new body im afraid id probably have to travel off the island to find one. Im going to have a look atound though as a contingency.

Thanks for the input!

As for getting a new body im afraid id probably have to travel off the island to find one. Im going to have a look atound though as a contingency.
It might be a lot easier to take a vacation and find a body without the cancer.

That's awful amount of rust.
Good chance that many of the embedded nuts, the ones that the leaf springs, shackles and crossmember use, will strip or break loose and spin, adding many extra hours of work to repair.
Assume there is rust damage in places you can't see, up inside the unibody.
I would think the whole unibody is compromised.
How do you plan on using the XJ, once in operating condition?

It might be a lot easier to take a vacation and find a body without the cancer...

How do you plan on using the XJ, once in operating condition?

Below are a few pics of what im up against trying to make a bush rig out of my 99 xj (going out to catch a trout and the like).
Ive busted off 90% of the bolts that are removed.... do your worst folks, greatly appreciated
Keep in mind, the OP is in Canada. It may not be so simple, or so cheap for him to do the things that people "South of the Border" will do.

None the less, that is a lot of rust!

Looks like this sat in a grassy field for a number of years. The moisture attacks the lower 2 feet or so. Unfortunately, that's also where the structure is.

The frame strengthens will NOT replace the frame rails. If the rails are truly gone, you'll need to fabricate some channel to replace the entire frame rail (or overlay it), and tie that into new body and floor panels.

Best bet is to get it completely stripped down before buying any materials. Remove springs, engine and mounts, etc. IF you do rebuild it, you'll want the drivetrain out of the way anyway. Once stripped, you can make a go/nogo decision.

David Bricker / SYR - TUS - "gotta love road salt"

Looks like this sat in a grassy field for a number of years. The moisture attacks the lower 2 feet or so. Unfortunately, that's also where the structure is.

The frame strengthens will NOT replace the frame rails. If the rails are truly gone, you'll need to fabricate some channel to replace the entire frame rail (or overlay it), and tie that into new body and floor panels.

Best bet is to get it completely stripped down before buying any materials. Remove springs, engine and mounts, etc. IF you do rebuild it, you'll want the drivetrain out of the way anyway. Once stripped, you can make a go/nogo decision.

David Bricker / SYR - TUS - "gotta love road salt"
Good advise and right inline with my thinking. I was in denial but it needs to be a shell underneath in order for me to do it any justice

By the way, I've been to NL a couple of times, but unfortunately, only St. Johns. Still, I've loved it, and look forward to hopefully getting back up there again late this year.

David Bricker / SYR - TUS

Back