• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MTZ's versus STT's?

Which tire? MTZ, STT, something else?

• Total voters

GhostDakota

NAXJA Forum User
On my old XJ I was running some 33x12.50x15" Mickey Thompson MTZ's. They were a great all around tire and did all I asked of them. Recently, one of my buddies purchased a set of Cooper Discoverer STT's. He swears by these things and I've seen them in person. They do kick some serious mud. Anyone personally run both of these or run the STT's? I'm purchasing a set of 31x10.50x15" tires for the new XJ. I'd be paying roughly $100+/- less (total) for the MTZ's than the STT's as well.

MTZ:
60951-lg.jpg

STT:
discovererSTT2.11111111jpg.jpg

i have the 31x10.50x15 stt that im actually selling to go bigger. i love this tire. ride nice and quiet on the road, balanced great. and offroad they do everything that i ask of them and they dont even flinch at it. when i go bigger im using the same tire, have a hard time trying to convince myself to try something diffrent after how happy i am with the stt.

Thanks for the response. If you were closer I'd buy 'em from ya. I'm just considering my price difference between the two as well.. that's a big factor :-\ I won't be buying 'til after I return from Florida on Jan 5th.. I like to have spending money on vacation.

They are both made by the same company (Cooper)

If they look similar, it's because they are :)

SOUTHTEXASXJ said:
I voted something else I have the MTZ !

I had 'em and love 'em.. you don't like 'em? What type of wheeling do you do?

When my MTZ's were on my truck (old truck, need to trim to fit them on my new truck)
I had a very hard time getting them stuck anywere, I think they are great tires hands down

SOUTHTEXASXJ said:
they are ok I just like the baja claws or boggers better!

try driving those everyday tho. he's not looking for that much tire.

Yah this is a daily driver in winter. I had TSL Super Swampers and those were horrible as a DD. Boggers, 12k miles maybe out of 'em? No good. Baja Claws are crap IMO unless you run 'em backwards.. then you void the warranty and again, maybe 15k miles out of 'em. Just MY opinion though :)

I'm glad I never went with the Baja Claw. A friend of mine has destroyed 2 tires on the trail, both sidewalls, both front left tire, and both on the same trail.

I enjoy my Toyo's

I'm running the super swamper ssr's 32 x 11.50 and absolutely love them. Be selling them soon for some 36 x 12.50 super swampers tsl sx's since I just bought a new tow rig and the jeep is not every day now.

Trxus have a horrible sidewall. One of the guys here at work has gone through three of them in the last year. That's unacceptable IMO. They were my first choice 'til I started to talk to guys that ran 'em on the trails.

I've decided to go with the MTZ's again unless I find some STT's used.. locally.

I have baja claws on my XJ till I get a chance to trim & fit my MTZ's

The claws aren't as good in the snow/ice as the MTZ's were at all

Major difference

They seem like they would do ok in the mud though

I throw another vote for the Cooper STTs. Gots a set of 311050s on the ThumperXJ even as I type this, and theyve been ALL that, and more. Ive never been a big fan of MT tires... Kinda reminds me of the Ocean Pacific clothing craze, or Vans shoes.... Namepayin....

Yah, I mean Mickey Thompson is owned by Cooper tire too as was previously stated.. lol.

Back