• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help, rear control arm bracket! Welding

tcpoland

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I was on the free way yesterday when a car somewhere in front of me lost its spare tire and it hit my passenger side front wheel. It looks like it caused the bolt hole on the body side of the right lower control arm to get stretched back. Do they make replacement brackets for this? I am sure this would require welding, could anyone on here do that? I would gladly pay you for your time.

So both brackets for lower control arms are messed up on the right side. :( Been having a lot of bad luck with this thing lately

The lower control arm brackets on the unibody have oblong holes intentionally for front axle alignment purposes. Inside of those brackets are "stirrup" shims that position the bolt in the oblong hole. Flat shims are stacked behind the stirrup shim to set the position of the control arm in the oblong hole.

Here is an example of the lower control arm bolt mounted as far back as it can. You'll see two studs with nuts sticking out of the back of the bracket. Those are attached to the stirrup shim that sits inside the LCA bracket. Flat shims are inserted between the LCA bracket and the stirrup moving the bolt and LCA forward. The nuts are tightened to hold the flat shims in place.

38540d1298329509t-lower-control-arm-mounts-img-20110221-00040.jpg

Shims going in behind the stirrup shim:

47240ill.jpg

So Troy just because I can see bolt hole peeking around the nut on the frame side does not mean its bad? That would be really good news

The lower control arm brackets on the unibody have oblong holes intentionally for front axle alignment purposes.

....... Is there an echo in here?

:D

I cant weld and dont have the equipment. Would anyone on here be able to cut off the old lower ca mounts and weld on the new ones?

What new ones? Why are you replacing the lower CA mounts????

May be cheaper just to replace the whole axle assembly.

Then you can have them reinforced in the future on the new one, or start building up the one you have now and when it's done sell the replacement axle and your ahead of the game

It's not really my budget now to build up the whole axle and being that this to my dd I don't want to be driving around with twisted mounts for fear that they would crap out. I found a replacement mount fairly cheap so if I could get them welded at a low price then it would be worth it

Do you have stock gears? Or would replacing the bad axle housing require a gear swap?

I'll have a stock D30 non-disconnect with 3:55's available fairly soon for $80. It's got 140K miles on it.

I have stock gears on the towing package, seems like cutting the old ones to reweld a new bracket would be more straight forward but its definitely another option. When is that axle gonna be up for grabs? Like I said before time is part of the equation

Back