• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

np241or

Outlander560

NAXJA Forum User
I've been searching and doing as much reading on the Rubicon np241or t-case as i can and besides threads about swaps and a few articles explaining the background on the t-case i have not had any luck finding real life feedback on this transfer case in an XJ.

So I have an np231 in my 01 xj sye'd 5.5 lift LA, 4.88s blah blah and i was wondering is the np241or worth it? I daily drive this hoss and weekend rocks, and trails as much as i can and wanted to know is the upgrade worth the hefty price tag?

Appreciate the input

I can tell you that it's much stronger than a SYE'd 231 (case, chain, planetary ect.), and the lower lowrange is nice if you nave bigger tires say 35's or larger and could use a tad more power climbing rocks.

best mod i've done yet, aside from maybe a locker. well worth it.
pretty easy swap. the stock shift linkage will work with very minimal modifications to the shift lever on the tcase. the front driveshaft is the same length as it is with a 231. the rear driveshaft had to be a little longer in my case, but a tj 241 may be different since mine was a jk.
the crossmember should work, the trans mount had to be slightly modified for me with my trans (ax15)
floor pan did not need to be modified, it was able to squeeze in there.

Last edited:
I've had one for about 8 years combined with a stick. For normal trail riding, it's a waste. For technical trails, it might be okay. I do like it, it makes the heep a torque monster, but I wouldn't make the change again based on my experience.

interesting...is the gearing to low? What setup do you have? I love rocks but i dont mind the occasional trail ride...Vanimal what year Jk's are best match i think i could get my hands on one

EDIT:Title is supposed to be NV241 OR

interesting...is the gearing to low? What setup do you have? I love rocks but i dont mind the occasional trail ride...Vanimal what year Jk's are best match i think i could get my hands on one

EDIT:Title is supposed to be NV241 OR
i have a stick as well, if it matters to you.
jk's are not a good match since they do not have provisions for a speed sensor. tj's would be better since they do.
The gearing is not too low for trail riding, but you won't be going too fast with it. i never really leave 4 low and it's fine in 4th or 5th gear. If i do long periods of trail riding, i put it in 4 high.
for rock crawling, it's night and day with a manual trans. i'll never go back.
disclaimer: i prefer more technical trails, and i have 35's. If you have 31's and mostly stick to fire roads, the 241 might be overkill.

i have 33's with 4.88s going to 35s soon probably build my hp44 before i go the 35 route..so i think i might bight the bullet then on the 241 sounds like it would be a good upgrade.
I read up about the speed sensor it uses a hall effect sensor but i read a few people needed to recalibrate the speedo after wiring it up anyone every do this?

I have the aw4 wish i had the ax-15 anyone ever use it with the aw4? Is it noticeably different?

the tj 241 has a speed sensor, you may have to calibrate it. not sure. the jk 241 has no speed sensor whatsoever. not even a place for one. if you have a 8.8, you can use the speed sensor on the axle housing but you'll need something like a dakota digital sgi-5 to calibrate the speedo. you can also use the sgi-5 to calibrate the speed signal from a tj 241.
i'm sure an aw4 would see just as much as an improvement.

when i first swapped in my 241or i had an aw4 and i loved it it was just had so much more torque and made a lot of obstacles easier then i did a ax15 swap and love it even more one of the best mods done hands down worth the semi-hefty price tag (got mine for $1k out of a tj that had 130k and never saw 4wd so essentially it was brand new)

I did this swap this past summer. Been meaning to do a write-up. Hopefully, I'll get to it at some point. I have a 4.6 Stroker, built for low end, AX-15, 4.56 gears and 33s.

Short answer - great upgrade. For technical trails and rocks, I don't think you can get too low in the gearing department, especially with a manual. I hate having to slip the clutch to crawl up something as slow as I'd like.

My particular installation had a bit if grief associated with it, but I don't think you'll run into those problems. As Vanimal says, try and find a t-case from a TJ, as opposed to a JK. The JK uses a wheel sensor for speedometer, so you'll have no way on the XJ. The TJ may still require an adapter for the wiring to the speedo, depending on the year of your XJ.

David Bricker / SYR

I did this swap this past summer. Been meaning to do a write-up. Hopefully, I'll get to it at some point. I have a 4.6 Stroker, built for low end, AX-15, 4.56 gears and 33s.

Short answer - great upgrade. For technical trails and rocks, I don't think you can get too low in the gearing department, especially with a manual. I hate having to slip the clutch to crawl up something as slow as I'd like.

My particular installation had a bit if grief associated with it, but I don't think you'll run into those problems. As Vanimal says, try and find a t-case from a TJ, as opposed to a JK. The JK uses a wheel sensor for speedometer, so you'll have no way on the XJ. The TJ may still require an adapter for the wiring to the speedo, depending on the year of your XJ.

David Bricker / SYR

let me guess cutting up the trans mount and modding the shifter linkage....lol

let me guess cutting up the trans mount and modding the shifter linkage....lol

Those were the minor details. Turns out I got a TJ AX-15, which is clocked differently than a XJ AX-15. Caused the floor tunnel to need to be massaged with a BFH, and extensive modification to the Novak cable shifter, since the clocking forced contact between the body mount bracket and the T-case mount bracket.

In the end it worked out great - the T-case is tucked completely above the bottom of the "frame" rails, so picked up some nice clearance.

David Bricker / SYR

Back