• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Charcoal Canister needed for Renix XJ?

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
My charcoal canister got somewhat damaged a while back and I was kinda just wanting to ditch the thing. Is it needed to pull fumes out of the tank? As in, are they dangerous if they aren't pulled and "charcoalized". I was reading in my Chilton's manual, and I noticed Canadian XJs don't even have them in the emissions routing. I think to bypass it, all you would have to do is connect the two vac lines running into it together? If anyone has any experience on this let me know.
Thanks,
Collin

I didn't remove mine but i did relocate it behind the front bumper. I would think that you can remove it. Am not sure why Canadians don't have them, maybe because it's cooler up there and fuel doesn't expand or maybe their emission laws are more lax.

ROADLESS said:
I didn't remove mine but i did relocate it behind the front bumper. I would think that you can remove it. Am not sure why Canadians don't have them, maybe because it's cooler up there and fuel doesn't expand or maybe their emission laws are more lax.
Do you have any pics of your setup? I guess maybe I could just patch it up and relocate it if it's going to have any adverse effects. I just don't like where it is now, especially trying to get to that top bellhousing bolt right now, it's right in the way.

I would be happy to take pics, however my son just left in it for Moscow. What i basically did was mount it similar to how the vacuum canister is on the passenger side only on the drivers side (you will need to fabricate some sort of bracket that wraps around it).

Its a nice out of the way place. You may need to move your horn over a little if you have one on the driver side. After that i plumbed it in using some left over 3/8" hose. I also removed all of the hard PVC crap that ran to it along the firewall.

Another benefit of this is that you have better access to your starter from above and it will also enable you to mount a ZJ type oil filter housing so the it is horizontal. If you want pics, i can ask son to take a few shots tomorrow and post em.

ROADLESS said:
I would be happy to take pics, however my son just left in it for Moscow. What i basically did was mount it similar to how the vacuum canister is on the passenger side only on the drivers side (you will need to fabricate some sort of bracket that wraps around it).

Its a nice out of the way place. You may need to move your horn over a little if you have one on the driver side. After that i plumbed it in using some left over 3/8" hose. I also removed all of the hard PVC crap that ran to it along the firewall.

Another benefit of this is that you have better access to your starter from above and it will also enable you to mount a ZJ type oil filter housing so the it is horizontal. If you want pics, i can ask son to take a few shots tomorrow and post em.
If you get around to pics that would be awesome, I'm real interested in just deleting it, but I may end up just moving it.
Thanks

No, that's the vacuum canister. Look down the firewall/frame next to the starter, or follow the hard PVC piping. It's under the heater hose inlets.

I've certainly thought about where to relocate it - behind the bumper is a good idea. Ditto the big plastic lines cluttering up the firewall.

TiRod said:
No, that's the vacuum canister. Look down the firewall/frame next to the starter, or follow the hard PVC piping. It's under the heater hose inlets.
Yeah and actually theres just the one big plastic PVC line, but I still think there would be a more strategic place to put it. If I can find a place that is somewhat out of the way, I'll just relocate the thing.

Damn, you boys from Idaho and Iowa got it easy. In California, if you change ANYTHING in emission control, its a trip to the referee or a trip back to the shop. A friend got bounced for a patched (with shrink tube) plastic line

Nevada City Sparky said:
Damn, you boys from Idaho and Iowa got it easy. In California, if you change ANYTHING in emission control, its a trip to the referee or a trip back to the shop. A friend got bounced for a patched (with shrink tube) plastic line
Yeah but it's only because we grow corn.

hmmm my jeeps canadian. 88 renix in fact and i got the charcoal canister. thinking i should just remove it now. emissions is lax here. and would be nice to free up more underhood space. i just find that thing to be in the way more times then not.

Tre said:
hmmm my jeeps canadian. 88 renix in fact and i got the charcoal canister. thinking i should just remove it now. emissions is lax here. and would be nice to free up more underhood space. i just find that thing to be in the way more times then not.
Yeah I dunno, I just know I was looking in the Chilton's and it didn't show the charcoal canister in the emissions routing diagram. It also only showed one port on the airbox to run to the valve cover because of not having the canister.

Nevada City Sparky said:
I don't know about Iowa, but here in Idaho we don't let the government push us around!

ROADLESS said:
I don't know about Iowa, but here in Idaho we don't let the government push us around!
Hell no, we don't let no one push us around! Does anyone else have opinions on the charcoal canister?

I took mine out about 2 months ago, along with a bunch of other emission stuff. I am now left with one hose from the tank that I just zip tied up out of the way. I do notice gas fumes from time to time, was thinking about just plugging this hose but dont know about that. I think if you have a vented gas cap that it should be ok.

BigBlackHeep said:
Hell no, we don't let no one push us around! Does anyone else have opinions on the charcoal canister?
Good answer! LOL. BTW, am still waiting for pics from my son. Will post em when i get em!

ROADLESS said:
Good answer! LOL. BTW, am still waiting for pics from my son. Will post em when i get em!
Don't think I realized this thread was replyed to again, anyway yeah let me see them when you get em.
Thanks,
Collin

Just helped a friend with a 4.0L, AW4, 4wd swap into a 90 MJ 2.5L. The only vaccuum powered things on it are the brakes, climate control, map sensor. We deleted everything else, looks great under the hood and runs awsome.

BlueCuda said:
Just helped a friend with a 4.0L, AW4, 4wd swap into a 90 MJ 2.5L. The only vaccuum powered things on it are the brakes, climate control, map sensor. We deleted everything else, looks great under the hood and runs awsome.
What did you do about the line running from the fuel tank?

BigBlackHeep said:
What did you do about the line running from the fuel tank?

Let it hang out under the hood, it has some kind of restriction in the end of it from the factory it looks like.

Back