• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP 242 bearing replacement

8Mud

NAXJA Forum User
I´ve never been inside a NP 242, before. My front output shaft seems to have a lot of play, the seal is leaking. There is a slight roar, coming from the transfer, that increases when in full time 4X. I´ve replaced the chain and bushings on a NP 231 before, wasn´t to difficult. I have the NP 231 component manual. A NP 241 componenet manual, would sure be helpfull, if anybody knows where I might find one.
Are there any tricks and/or pitfalls to replacing the front output bearing, on the NP 242. Other than Murphy rearing his ugly head? Any other pieces, I should, have handy. Don´t want the ride down, any longer than necessary, but will probably find something unanticipated when I open the case.

8Mud said:
I´ve never been inside a NP 242, before. I have the NP 231 component manual. A NP 241 componenet manual, would sure be helpfull, if anybody knows where I might find one.

If you can wait until Monday and want to send me your email address, I can send a pdf of the section covering the NP242 from a 1991 FSM.

Back