• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Slightly a tech question

blakews2217

NAXJA Forum User
So I decided to invest 250 bucks in a $h!t box dakota. 1994 with a blown up v6. The plus was I need a short little work truck to drive while I rebuild my stroker motor in my jeep. I grabbed a 200 dollar 318 off CL and started trying to make 1998 efi Work in 1994. Nope. Ended up killing my ecu. So I got a 60 buck carb off CL and all the ignition components for 125. I’m like 750 in this truck and I made it run and drive. Thank got it’s a stick. Makes it kinda fun.

Now here’s my question: does anyone know off the top of there head the coolant temp drop across the rad? I have my temp probe on the output and it’s gotten really high. Like 230. I k ow that’s gotta be screaming hot out of the block. I’ll get some batteries for my temp gun after work and test it but I wanted to see if any of you guys know.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on a lot of stuff but I usually see about 40 degrees or more. Usually I'm more concerned with sudden changes in temp across and up and down, indicating a clog.

Get that temp gun going.

Can vary a lot, but 230 sounds way too hot to me. Maybe that carb is running lean? Maybe the radiators plugged? Maybe the motor is junk?

Personally on that engine I'd like to see 200 at the thermostat housing, any higher and I'd be trying to "solve" the problem.

Thanks guys for the Input. I found a major part of the issue. I had read the timing mark wrong and set it 6 deg late. That made it run way hot. Not it had struggles to get to 160. I’m still going to do a full carb tune and get the temp gun. I’ll keep y’all updated hopefully better than my stroker build went.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back