• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Im in a junkyard and have a fitment question

Intellect

NAXJA Forum User
This part on my 95 4.0 4wd went bad, i found a 94 2wd 4cylinder, so will it work? Are the electronics inside for the 4wd light even on the 2wd models? If not will it still work for check engine light? My biggest issue is i cant read my obd1 blinks because this section burnt up one day.

Also, can i seperate this section from the cluster? Thx for any help! Stuck at lkq until i see a reply lol
2822f403409b1f251bbff3fe890a0ef7.jpg
3ad36d8e2607e93e92fb8eb666b18faf.jpg
9da0c6be8f4c67007449fafc4303e1b3.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

I know i have to brake the housing, as you see here, it has its own 2 screws, ill just dremel my old one off on my xj, and they will for now on be two seperate pieces from the cluster, im asking, should this plug into my 6cyl 95 4wd cherokee? Cut and splice?
e97dd30e4a364aa59fbcd2f7baee5e60.jpg
01f06977fb3183dd30f9d56ea7da9bf9.jpg

Pictures are a bit on the large side, so pardon me if I am missing something, but it looks to me like all you need to do is remove that plug in the middle and then you could take that thin sheet that has all the copper conduits for the bulbs. Odds are that is all you need. Unless yours burnt up in some fashion that it damaged the face or perhaps the plug, in which case I am thinking you have an additional problem that is even a higher priority.

Any details on how your old one failed? Other than a bulb burning out, I can't think of any good reason for that part to die. I have seen a few larger speedometer cluster equivalents to that with problems, but I think their size and extra room to flex has been the driving factor there. This piece is pretty small and looks to be fairly well retained.

The fuse popped 3 times in a row,(for cluster and this, they share a fuse) i was impatient and trying to read blinking obd1 codes. Used a jumper wire in place of a fuse... Turned key, SMOKE GALLORE luckily my dumb self realised i dont want to burn my xj down, turned key off. In that 4 seconds only this portion stopped working thank the heavens. The gauges radio speedo etc didnt get hurt.

Hopefully this pic is smaller.. using tapatalk app so pardon me. So your saying i should be able to use that plug/copper paper (forget name) on my 6cyl 4wd, even tho this is a 4cyl 2wd at the yard?

(I work with radios a lot so I imagined this was a delicate ribon type cable i couldnt take off or touch too much)
f0d4b42d02336d0c7f8f027bff299259.jpg

There you go.

Just don't fold it up and stuff it in your back pocket.

I doubt there are many, different, versions of that piece. I expect it will work fine.

Only question is what went wrong such that your old one burned up. I can't see how that piece would have a short in it. If you are still blowing fuses you will have some diagnostic work ahead of you.

Well mine is not burnt up, everything looks fine. But the check engine/4wd/abs light up sections not working.. no more fuse blowing though.

Copper checks good, bulbs check good, none of the lights work on this circuit though. I tried researching it but most people with this issue there entire gauge cluster goed out... Mine works fine.
aa2ae1841c8424f752e26f9464a6b6b7.jpg

I can't place where that is, but you are certainly on the trail of something.

Next question is where does that wire go and what is wrong to cause it to melt down like that?

Also posted in https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1144719

That's the headlight delay module. Wiring diagram shows the white/black goes to the fuse block. The white/orange on the same pin feeds the indicator lights on the dash that you said shorted, and continues on to feed the remote keyless module and the overhead console. I would inspect the whole length of that wire between where you think it shorted and the fuse block.

That's the headlight delay module. Wiring diagram shows the white/black goes to the fuse block. The white/orange on the same pin feeds the indicator lights on the dash that you said shorted, and continues on to feed the remote keyless module and the overhead console. I would inspect the whole length of that wire between where you think it shorted and the fuse block.
The white and black? Wiring isnt my strong suit. Ive done some direct engine swaps but thats all plug and play. Radios and lights and stuff. I understand basics to relays and ohms etc. But the white and black goes to the thick loom that goes throught the fire wall...unless it comes back in before it goes to fuse block. The white and black was burnt pretty far, it went as far back as where the thick loom goes through firewall. I cut the black plastic shrinkwrap off the loom because i was tracing where the burntness stopped but ever time i went an extra inch..it was still burnt. I think your onto something. Possibly a good idea to just run a new wire directly from fuse block to the plug/silver guy the plug plugs into.

1995 4.0 4wd country. Just making sure same page model wise.. cause i thought i read on a forum that, that set of lights (check engine,abs,part time, etc) ties into the gauge cluster wiring, because the gauge cluster fuse is the one i idiotically put a jumper wire in, before i smelt smoking and the lights to the left stopped working. (Luckily after 4 seconds i learned i was pulling an idiotic stunt and jerked that key off and jumper wire right out)

Also, pardon my double posting.. sort of... The other forum you replied too, i am just now seeing, i could not access it before, tapatalk glitches.

I fixed that wiring... Lights still out.. anyhelp? Abs cel etc section doesnt work.. gauges do and backlights do

I can't place where that is, but you are certainly on the trail of something.

Next question is where does that wire go and what is wrong to cause it to melt down like that?
Fixed it! I did what i was asking to do in this video... As it uploaded, and all those lights to the left work again!

https://youtu.be/DOWpww8tjtA

But figured id upload to make sure i did it right, or for constructive criticism.

Fixed it! I did what i was asking to do in this video... As it uploaded, and all those lights to the left work again!

https://youtu.be/DOWpww8tjtA

But figured id upload to make sure i did it right, or for constructive criticism.

Aside from the overkill of 12-gauge wire to fix 20-gauge wire, it looks fine. Not sure where that loom goes, but the wiring diagram does show it lands on the fuse block.

Aside from the overkill of 12-gauge wire to fix 20-gauge wire, it looks fine. Not sure where that loom goes, but the wiring diagram does show it lands on the fuse block.
Thank you, that is all i had, and looking back it was a LITTLE overkill lmao. But that rests my nerves, thanks.

Back