• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Autometer dash panel/gauge cluster

Well, the link to the cluster states;
DIRECT FIT DASH PANEL, 6 GAUGE, JEEP WRANGLER 96-06 TJ, CHEROKEE 99-01 XJ"
Just looked at my 2001 and 1997 XJs and the clusters look identical.
I have alway thought the 97+ XJs used the same dash assembly, when working on them they sure seem to be the same.

Why would you want to use a carburator? Fuel injection is so much better, especially at high altitudes or in cold climates.
IMO, switching to a carb is step backwards.
The cost of buying all new gauges is another disadvantage.

Last edited:
What would you do about the speedometer/odometer ???

Well, the link to the cluster states;
DIRECT FIT DASH PANEL, 6 GAUGE, JEEP WRANGLER 96-06 TJ, CHEROKEE 99-01 XJ"
Just looked at my 2001 and 1997 XJs and the clusters look identical.
I have alway thought the 97+ XJs used the same dash assembly, when working on them they sure seem to be the same.

Why would you want to use a carburator? Fuel injection is so much better, especially at high altitudes or in cold climates.
IMO, switching to a carb is step backwards.
The cost of buying all new gauges is another disadvantage.

Thanks. I really thought it should work and wondered why they only list 99-01 XJ's. I was under the impression they're the same 97+. I have had an '01 and a few 97's. I actually own 2 97's right now.

I'm running a fairly radical 4.7 stroker AND I live on a remote island in Alaska. Tuning was just becoming a concern. It would be easier for me to run a carb.

I know, you guys are all against it and everyone that owns a jeep is always doing off camber stuff yada yada. It's actually fun to read old threads about it and see the responses. Like everyone is suppose to fit into this one particular idea of what Jeeps are for. Even though all that's even left from my original jeep is the chasis.

My engine will turn to 6500 rpm, 11.3:1 compression, custom solid cam from Lunati. This exact head > http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1120948

Newcomer makes the power I want with a carb on the engine dyno https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhQYB623Bto&t=13s

For the gauges, I would run tach, fuel level, voltage, oil pressure, coolant temp and that's probably it. I would just forgo a speedo and odo most likely

What would you do about the speedometer/odometer ???

My buddy used some speedo (he swapped in a LQ4) he had to calibrate, I don't recall what it used for a signal, not GPS. After seeing how he went to the trouble of running a speedo and then it wasn't even accurate makes me want to just skip it.

Back