• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cherokee 98 Problems opening rear gate

hsurg

NAXJA Forum User
Just bought a 98 4.0 L 4x4 Cherokee. The only problem is that the rear gate won't open but the automatic unlock and the key unlock seem to work fine. I gave it a good look over and sprayed WD40 in the lock and everything. I can't get the thing open. Do I have to cut the inside plastic to get to the latch? Has anyone had this or heard of this before?

I have this problem on and off. Pushing with one hand below the handle while pulling with the other seems to work. I've repositioned the striker several times, but what I think may need to be adjusted, at least in my case, are the bumpers located just inboard of the taillights. They can be moved inward or outward a little bit, and that seems to be able to make quite a difference.

On mine it starts to open, it unlatches, but wont actually open. I usually hafta push it back until it's latched, and keep trying it usually opens after a try or 2. The fix is usually hose the latch down real good with wd-40 and its good for a few months or so.

If you can't get it open, you may have to pry the plastic back so you can get your arm in there to pull on the rod to unlatch it.

Once you get it open, pull the plastic off and adjust the rod mechanism. They used a cheap clip that unadjusts itself over time.

Search around on the boards for info on this. My 98 did the same thing 2-3 months ago, and I found the info that led to the fix.

Good luck.

Back