• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

94 project build

OffRoadOhio

NAXJA Forum User
I purchased a 1994 2door xj a few weeks back.
It is a 4.0 with 5speed transmission. I was told it had alot of small issues so I picked it up for $250.

Here it is the day I brought it home.
cherokee004.jpg

I bought it with no real plan as to a build, but it was a cheap running cherokee that I could hack up. I have been keeping my eye on forsale threads all over the net and so far I have some up with:

29 spline 8.25, with welded diff and two spare axles $-200
4.5" front lift coils $-40
s10 leaf springs free
custom built upper control arms free
bushings for the UCA's $12 from 4wd
d30 lock right $150
used crager soft 8's with 33" dunlop mud rovers with 1/2tread $125
white spoke steel wheel and 33 a/t for spare free

I sold the tires/wheels from the jeep and sold the 27spline 8.25 fromt her and at this point have just over $500 invested.

Over the past couple weeks I have been messing around with it waiting for my parts to all arrive.

I pulled the rear axle and cut the centering pin on the leafs to prep it for the bastard pack/ 29spline 8.25 install. I also cut the rusty rockers clear out of it, and trimmed the wheel openings.
cherokee009.jpg

Today I got the front coils, uca's and locker installed in the front.
Now I have to wait until tommorrow to go to the spring shop to get the new spring centering bolts and spring clamps, and then I should have the rear in.

When I had the front apart to do the locker I found both unit bearings have a little play in them, and both of the 261X joints are bad. I am going to replace the joints and make these my spares. I'll buy new unit bearings and a set of junkyard 297 joint shafts.
I also need to buy/build lower control arms, buy sway bar discconects, and an HD steering system (every joint on the stock is bad and the HD steering is cheaper than replacing ALL the stock parts) Also could use new rotors and pads.

So its still going to be a little while before it drives itself from the garage.

Last edited:
250.00 great buy. Looks like you got a good plan going..

Yeah I agree keep us updated.

Nick

Give us some pics of what you did with the rockers. You said you cut them completely out. I would like to see that. I have an 89 that is rusted all the way to the "frame" rail and I need to cut it out.

Damn boy, your not afraid of the sawzall are ya! I like to follow budget builds, I am subscribing to this thread.

Good use of funds and finding deals at this point. :thumbup:

Why don't you just ditch the swaybar instead of investing in disconnects? Just curious..ive never had any problems w/o one.

I just ended up pop riveting sheet metal to my rockers and sealing up the rust not the best solution but i painted it flat black and it doesn look half bad

Got a little more done today. Got the rear shocks modded and installed (swipped from a s10 blazer)

Also cut the right side to match the left side.

Did nothing else as I have no project funds this week and I have done all I can without that.

Cool I will be watching this one as I have a 89 2 door that i will be building for the wife and kids. Same plans 4.5" lift I am going with RC lift with drop brackets found all of it on sale at X-mas and could not pass up the price. So how bad are the floors mine are gone on the driver side i no for sure I haven’t looked any further than that.

My passanger floor boards is complete gone clear up to the firewall and back under the seat. The drivers is thin but not rusted clear through yet. behind the seats there are a bunch of small holes so its all going to need replaced. Onc eI have it out and driving I will pull the interior and make new floors.

I HAVE to get it drivable before I do anything becuase I dont have 220 in my crappy little garage and have to do all real fab work at ym grandma's place.

But there we ahve a tubing bender, plasma cutter, bead roller, 10ft metal brake, both stick and wire welders, all we are missing is a lathe and a mill.

Back