• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pivoting Shackle (not orbit eye bushing)

J-Roc

NAXJA Forum User
Was doing some mall crawling and drove up an RTI backwards, buddy pointed out that my springs looks like they were ready to die and twist the other way around... I was a little freaked out about this because it was rather excessive.

Did some searching and found some crazy things (digging through Toyota archives) and came upon these:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I'd much rather have the orbit eye in the spring eye but I figured I'd ask about this concept first?
It's my assumption that it would be best to run poly eye bushings to eliminate the pivoting force/action when driving down the road?
Perhaps a traction bar would help with fighting side sway as well?

Thoughts?

You would need a rear trackbar!

I run home made shackles with RE joints at the frame end and 5.5" springs. Going down the trail you can see the springs shift side to side a little. It definitely relieves some stress on the main leaf. No need for a track bar.

Ummm, no.

Try unbolting a shackle sometime and then get out your biggest prybar and see if you can move the axle or spring around. Don't forget you have front spring bolts, 4 ubolts, and a swaybar holding that thing in position. Not to mention that orbit only allows the part to rotate, not move side to side.

you still run a rear swaybar? lawlz

I run home made shackles with RE joints at the frame end and 5.5" springs. Going down the trail you can see the springs shift side to side a little. It definitely relieves some stress on the main leaf. No need for a track bar.

can you put up a pic. i was thinking about this earlier when i saw how the teraflex revolvers worked. i really liked how it would let the shackle twist to relieve stress but i didnt like how it opened up(like a double shackle) it would be cool to have one that just twisted in the middle

Even the teraflexs' allow a little bit of axle steer from side to side. I saw it many times on my first cherokee.

The cherokee isn't my wheeler... It's just for abusing on forest roads. If I could think of a good reason to throw the swaybar away, it would be gone already.:laugh:

Try driving without the rear sway bar...much more comfortable.

~Scott

Well, that's what I'm double checking right now. I went outside and measured a spare set of leaf eyes at each end. The shackle end seems to be where they'd fit (1.5" diameter). They're listed as fitting "Chrysler-type leaf springs" which measure 3" wide at the main eye and 2.5" at the shackle end--just like our XJs, so I think it should work. I guess I should've had all this figured out for sure before I posted that. My mistake.

Last edited:
No mistake at all...
I'm trying to figure out if my Sky Jacker leafs are the same size? Not finding much info on bushings...

Back