• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Check my gear pattern, please

Daedalus454

NAXJA Forum User
Aaron just finished installing a set of 4.56 gears in my XJ, he asked me to post up a picture of the pattern on the 8.25".

Coast side:
0517082020.jpg

Drive side:
0517082020b.jpg

The coast side looks perfect, the backlash is good but the drive side has us scratching our heads a bit. Let me know what you think.

Thanks.

Might be deep- but there's an issue with getting enough preload on the gears. I can't read the pattern across the tooth, it cuts off too early. Put a prybar on the ring gear so you really have to turn the pinion hard, that'll show the pattern better. A dab of gear oil works good with the yellow grease, too.

Well, we went and re-did the gear setup this past weekend, turns out the crush sleeve wasn't crushed far enough in addition to the pinion being too deep. We pulled the pinion in .005", and made sure to get the pinion nut nice and tight and double-checked the 25 in-lbs turning resistance. The pattern looks textbook perfect and it's really quiet now.

Sorry I don't have any pictures of the new setup. Thanks for the advice.

Back