• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Holy crap, it's gigantic!!!(front end is sitting on it's own weight)

Safari Ary

NAXJA Forum User
First off, sorry, pics come tomorrow night.

But DAYUM, I had no idea it would be this big! I can't stop grinning from ear to ear :D but at the same time I'm a bit concerned that I went a little overboard :angel: I still have to hook up the trackbar and see how she steers, and then swap out the rear axle. Plenty of work to do in two nights, but I think I can get it. I'll be installing axle shafts in the front at camp, since they didn't come today(probably arrive tomorrow), but that shouldn't be a big deal.

Anyway, I just had to share my excitement :D

Oh, for those that haven't been following along here's the new specs:

Tera 50 front axle, 4.88s, open(for now), Chevy half-ton brakes
Toy 8" rear axle, 4.88s, detroit, discs

Front suspension:
RE Long arms, Clayton's x-member
RE ZJ 4.5" springs
Bilstein 5100 14" travel shocks(front)

Rear suspension(pretty much everything here is temp. till I can afford better springs):
Rusty's 4.5" leafs
Rusty's AAL in 4.5" leafs(to make up for soft/sagging springs)
Pro-comp 1" shackle
Block of yet to be determined height
Bilstein 5100 shocks

Now the question is, can I get the trackbar bracket made and installed, the shock brackets made and installed, the driveshaft in, everything tightened up, the rear spring perches welded on, the rear wheel bearing retainers on, the rear discs plumbed, and the whole assembly slung under the Jeep all by the end of Wednesday night. We'll see. Hopefully I'll get some help. Otherwise I might be :hang:

Oh yeah, and the tires are 35 BFG MT KMs

Ary

Safari Ary said:
First off, sorry, pics come tomorrow night.

But DAYUM, I had no idea it would be this big! I can't stop grinning from ear to ear :D but at the same time I'm a bit concerned that I went a little overboard :angel: I still have to hook up the trackbar and see how she steers, and then swap out the rear axle. Plenty of work to do in two nights, but I think I can get it. I'll be installing axle shafts in the front at camp, since they didn't come today(probably arrive tomorrow), but that shouldn't be a big deal.

Anyway, I just had to share my excitement :D

Oh, for those that haven't been following along here's the new specs:

Tera 50 front axle, 4.88s, open(for now), Chevy half-ton brakes
Toy 8" rear axle, 4.88s, detroit, discs

Front suspension:
RE Long arms, Clayton's x-member
RE ZJ 4.5" springs
Bilstein 5100 14" travel shocks(front)

Rear suspension(pretty much everything here is temp. till I can afford better springs):
Rusty's 4.5" leafs
Rusty's AAL in 4.5" leafs(to make up for soft/sagging springs)
Pro-comp 1" shackle
Block of yet to be determined height
Bilstein 5100 shocks

Now the question is, can I get the trackbar bracket made and installed, the shock brackets made and installed, the driveshaft in, everything tightened up, the rear spring perches welded on, the rear wheel bearing retainers on, the rear discs plumbed, and the whole assembly slung under the Jeep all by the end of Wednesday night. We'll see. Hopefully I'll get some help. Otherwise I might be :hang:

Oh yeah, and the tires are 35 BFG MT KMs

Ary

Christ Ary you sound like a giggling little girl....:dunno::laugh:

Pics could've done the talking, but I'm glad you decided to write a book instead....

And you know I won't be able to help you tomorrow night since I'll be installing a 44 of my own.........:D

Be sure to weld those rear spring perches on thoroughly.............a couple of us regulars have had embarrasing experinces in that regard. :doh:

:D

Goatman said:
Be sure to weld those rear spring perches on thoroughly.............a couple of us regulars have had embarrasing experinces in that regard. :doh:

What kind of bonehead would do that??

Rick
"the second NAXJA bonehead award recepient"

BrettM said:
What Toy axle did you end up with? I thought you said it was a Taco one, meaning it's the "8.4" diff? Or did you get a 4runner axle for the 60" wide 8"?

The best I can figure is that the axle originally came from an e-locked Taco, because it had factory Toyota perches on it at Taco width, and it is definately an 8".

Goatman said:

Definately will do. By the way, I was looking at a Tacoma the other day and it has these nice overload leafs in it. How do you think they'd work as a sort of anti-wrap device? I know they'd help out my saggin w-shaped rusty's springs, but I was wondering if you think they'd help out with anti-wrap as well. They're probably 24" long and about 3/4" thick(those are guesses, but I think I'm close). Thanks

Ary

BrettM said:
:tapping foot: :drumming fingers:

lol, Adam never came by today with the camera(maybe I should have told him he was supposed to? :dunno: :shhh: ). Nothing changed today really except that I got the trackbar bracket done and shortened the trackbar. The Jeep fought me the entire night, I was planning to knock out the trackbar crap by 6, install the shocks, and get started on the rear axle, but I never even got to install the shocks :( Needless to say, there's no way I'm gonna have it done and fine tuned by Thursday afternoon. Especially not to drive 9 hours on the highway. So I will spend my day off on Friday finishing the heep and maybe I'll get to go play on Sunday or something.

I'm bummed, but this is what I get for waiting to the last minute. I thought starting 2.5 weeks ahead of time would be plenty of time. guess not :dunno:

Ary

Safari Ary said:
lol, Adam never came by today with the camera(maybe I should have told him he was supposed to? :dunno: :shhh: ).

What do you expect of me? I was under my own junk all night...... :dunno:

BTW, it's definately not big in comparison to some of the more extreme rigs out there. I was just amazed at how big it turned out in comparison to what I was expecting.

Ary

JnJ said:
This thread is worthless without pictures.....

XJ.jpg

Happy now?
thefinger.gif

Ary

Safari Ary said:
XJ.jpg

Happy now?
thefinger.gif

Ary

U call that a picture? Dan and I need to teach you a thing or two about photography!

Back