• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Factory custom gauges for MJ/XJ

OCD is for Observing Critical Details.

I prefer "Critical Details Observed", or CDO. That way the letters are in alphabetical order. As they should be.

:D

The OP is claiming that extension cords are a superior product, but thus far, strictly on his own word, not with any objective basis.

His choice of wiring may have the "cheap" advantage, but he has yet to show us how it has any "quality" advantages. Given his response to one set of objective measures I doubt he can provide any useful information on that front.

modus operandi

FWIW...... The NEC and U.L. cover the product with tons of info(as a building/construction product), where as SAE only recognizes it for use to plug in your Tesla !!!

40yrs IBEW Wireman and 20yrs a IAEI Senior Electrical Inspector

I like "SIS" wire a lot, you can't burn with a propane torch but it has limited colors(easily taken care of).
But I like to use marine grade for a lot of choices.
https://www.westmarine.com/primary-wire
On top of that is aviation wiring for interior use but it has limited color choices to..
? https://www.westmarine.com/primary-wire

Explains everything.

Union, upper midwest or north east. Daddy didn't love you and you spent your entire life busting someones balls.
32 years in the trades and I've come across many of you.

My lights and fans will still be running long after they chuck you in a box.

That is perfectly fine. It is designed for that purpose.

The OP is claiming that extension cords are a superior product, but thus far, strictly on his own word, not with any objective basis.

His choice of wiring may have the "cheap" advantage, but he has yet to show us how it has any "quality" advantages. Given his response to one set of objective measures I doubt he can provide any useful information on that front.

I didn't claim anything, I didn't even bring this shit up.

This thread is about a cluster..........not the shit cluster you turned it into.

Yep, same shit packaged 6 different ways.

One of the things that makes NAXJA a great place is the accuracy of information. To that end I would like to make it clear that the wire that Jeep Driver has used in his application is not the same wire that Geen XJ Jeep has linked.

What is in Jeep Driver's install is not clearly identified, but it is the sort of wire you would find in an extension cord or a power tool cord. It might be SO, SOO, SJO, or one of the many others on this list:

https://www.multicable.com/resources/reference-data/wire-abbreviations-and-descriptions/

You may note that nowhere on that list is "Primary" wire.

The wire linked to by Green XJ Jeep is clearly identified as primary wire, and as such is intended for automotive application.

If you were to handle samples of each type you would find that they feel noticeably different. That is because they are different.

The SO/SOO/SJO etc wires probably have a thermoset insulation while the primary wire probably has a thermoplastic insulation. A brief comparison of those two may be found here: http://www.awcwire.com/thermoset-thermoplastic

The wiring which I prefer for automotive applications is SXL/TXL/GXL which are thermoset insulated wires engineered for the automotive realm. I have these wires on hand and they do not feel at all the same as do the conductors in my extension cords or power tool cords. They are not the same. This is why I asked for a comparison to a known and established standard.

I would much rather work with facts than hearsay.

A quick skim through the multicable link should give anyone a sense of the range of wire types available, the variables and the specialized nature of many of the products. And none of those wires are automotive grade. That is yet another world, a list of which can be found here: http://www.awcwire.com/faq-automotive-wire

I am not aware of any crossover between the two worlds.

One of the things that makes NAXJA a great place is the accuracy of information. To that end I would like to make it clear that the wire that Jeep Driver has used in his application is not the same wire that Geen XJ Jeep has linked.

What is in Jeep Driver's install is not clearly identified, but it is the sort of wire you would find in an extension cord or a power tool cord. It might be SO, SOO, SJO, or one of the many others on this list:

https://www.multicable.com/resources/reference-data/wire-abbreviations-and-descriptions/

You may note that nowhere on that list is "Primary" wire.

The wire linked to by Green XJ Jeep is clearly identified as primary wire, and as such is intended for automotive application.

If you were to handle samples of each type you would find that they feel noticeably different. That is because they are different.

The SO/SOO/SJO etc wires probably have a thermoset insulation while the primary wire probably has a thermoplastic insulation. A brief comparison of those two may be found here: http://www.awcwire.com/thermoset-thermoplastic

The wiring which I prefer for automotive applications is SXL/TXL/GXL which are thermoset insulated wires engineered for the automotive realm. I have these wires on hand and they do not feel at all the same as do the conductors in my extension cords or power tool cords. They are not the same. This is why I asked for a comparison to a known and established standard.

I would much rather work with facts than hearsay.

A quick skim through the multicable link should give anyone a sense of the range of wire types available, the variables and the specialized nature of many of the products. And none of those wires are automotive grade. That is yet another world, a list of which can be found here: http://www.awcwire.com/faq-automotive-wire

I am not aware of any crossover between the two worlds.

Goddamn! WTF is wrong with you?

Most of you own $500 rustbucket POS and you are worried about the scientific makeup of wire insulation?

And you are going to blame me for false information about my own ****ing truck?????????

You people need to mind your own ****ing business.

jesus christ..........what a ****ing asshole.

We don't typically kill threads because you don't like where it has gone. No rules were broken here, yeah it's spiraled a bit but it's spiraled in a way that has good tech.

Goddamn! WTF is wrong with you?

Most of you own $500 rustbucket POS and you are worried about the scientific makeup of wire insulation?

And you are going to blame me for false information about my own ****ing truck?????????

You people need to mind your own ****ing business.

jesus christ..........what a ****ing asshole.

To make it even easier . The wire in the link I provided does not have paper wrapped around the wires.
What you have essentially done is wired your truck with wire that will absord oil and cause a fire hazard.
Which is perfectly fine for what you are building. A money is no object show build that will never get daily driven or offroaded..

We don't typically kill threads because you don't like where it has gone. No rules were broken here, yeah it's spiraled a bit but it's spiraled in a way that has good tech.

Bingo.....thread stays.

It provides tech.....maybe of what not to do.....

And don't worry, I already requested my own thread be deleted.

"The biggest communication problem is you don't listen to understand, you listen to reply"

"The biggest communication problem is you don't listen to understand, you listen to reply"

I know how to listen, I listen extremely well.

This thread was not, is not, about how I wired my truck, nor you opinion of it.

Had you stated your case without being a smartass, an unsolicited smartass, I may have listened to you.

You are not entirely right nor am I entirely wrong.

I'm not rewiring MY truck to suit you, anyway.

And no, I really don't give a **** what you think.

To the OP: what advantages will the new cluster provide? Is this a "look at me" modification or are you out to correct a deficiency(s) in your existing unit? What upgrades have you/are you making to the reporting/sending apparatus?

To the OP: what advantages will the new cluster provide? Is this a "look at me" modification or are you out to correct a deficiency(s) in your existing unit? What upgrades have you/are you making to the reporting/sending apparatus?

The short answer- there will be nothing original to my MJ, other than the cab, two front fenders, and the bed.........even then, the tail lights are going away, and of course, the dash.

It will not be a show truck, I'm not that good, but it will be a very nice driver.

Blown and injected SBC next year. I'm currently in the process of paint.

Back