• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

mounting tire back on wheel thread search (no luck)

Boulder_jeeps

NAXJA Forum User
I cant seem to find a thread I read a week ago about mounting tires back in the rim after patching them on the trail. I searched all kinds of key words:
tire mounting, tire removal, ect..., does anyone know the thread Im talking about or know any better key words.

If your talking about seating a bead....I know those that have not tried this method will tell you not to do it,but its EASY....spray a small amount of stating fluid around the inside of the tire and toss a match at it.BLOOMP...tire seats and partially inflates.Have done it myself and have watched others do it hundreds of time.As long as you use a small amount of starting fluid and keep your fingers away from the rim you will be fine.

Now,I have heard stories about people trying this method with gasoline,thats a no-no....gasoline burns too slow and you can do more bad than good.

Fairmonco said:
If your talking about seating a bead....I know those that have not tried this method will tell you not to do it,but its EASY....spray a small amount of stating fluid around the inside of the tire and toss a match at it.BLOOMP...tire seats and partially inflates.Have done it myself and have watched others do it hundreds of time.As long as you use a small amount of starting fluid and keep your fingers away from the rim you will be fine.

I've done this as well. After several failed attempts, I concluded that the starting fluid needs a few seconds to vaporize and "fill up" the cavity of the tire. (similar to gas fumes expanding) Then it works great and was less eventfull than I anticipated. (I was wearing a face sheild and ear muffs :) and I barely heard it pop)

Back