• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

P0753 after changing solenoids

DisorganizedMan

NAXJA Forum User
What's up guys,

I posted a little while back about a new-to-me '98 XJ I bought about a month ago...I immediately took it to a mechanic because it was throwing a code for a transmission issue (P1745). I ended up driving it back home from the mechanic after he thought it was safe to drive home. We both figured it was an intermittent thing. I have not noted any really hard shifting or anything while driving it, and neither did he, whether the Jeep was running cold or at operating temperature.

Anyway, I swapped out the solenoids yesterday and did a filter change / poor man's flush while I was at it. Unfortunately, after I was done: turn the Jeep on, let it warm up, take it for a spin, and while it's shifting like butter, it is still throwing a transmission code. With my cheap OBDII reader it's saying P0753, which is supposed to be Shift Solenoid A.

Could there be any other reasons for this? This is my first auto transmission car, but from what I can tell it shifts just fine through all the gears. If I clear the code it immediately comes right back on.

Trying to figure out what to do next, as I'd like to get this thing in prime condition and ready to roll for the fall!

Thanks in advance!

That code says a problem in the "wiring" for the solenoid.

ok...so I got under the Jeep and the wiring harnesses going to the solenoids look intact, the two plugs under the hood look intact, and the TCU appears relatively intact as well. I don't have a voltmeter, but I think I'll be getting one soon to check the wiring...if it's a wiring issue is that something that is easily fixed?

I want to add that when I clear the codes, the check engine light comes back on within 10-20 seconds. It does not matter whether the jeep is running, or if it just has the key in the ignition. This would lead me to believe it's definitely an electrical issue, correct? It does not need warming up or anything like that to turn back on.

alright, just got a multimeter. How do I check for continuity / resistance within the relay? the how-to on line is saying to hook one end up to the solenoid plug and another to the battery terminal, but my multimeter wires will definitely not stretch that far...am i missing something?

Got a pair of alligator-clip leads? For continuity you should be able to use any length of good wire to extent your leads, so long as you get a good connection from lead to extension to whatever you're testing...

Back