• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Torque converter / weird sound issue. No idea!

Texas Twitch

NAXJA Forum User
I hear a weird sound that is repetitive, like something is loose. Thought it was an exhaust leak, but it randomly goes away and comes back. Got underneath it while running and i can actually SEE the torque converter spinning. Haven't noticed on the Jeep, but every other car I've worked on has the Trans and motor flush together where the TC is hidden behind the bellhousing. The sound is also correlating with the rotation of the TC. any ideas? Did the motor just pull away from the trans for some reason? WTF!?

btw, it was night with a small flashlight so i wasn't able to fully see what was going on. This is also a 91 Laredo with 4.0 and 4WD. Thanks in advance for the help!

Check and see if the 4 bolts holding the converter to the flexplate are loose. If so, remove them one by one, LocTite them and reinstall. Shine a light up in there while you're at it and see if there are any cracks in the flexplate. Couldn't hurt to check the engine to trans fasteners for looseness also.

And check the bellhousing to block bolts, they may have backed out.

took a closer look yesterday before i went out, and it wasn't the actual TC I was seeing spinning. didn't have a whole lot of time to dig into it, so im going to take off the metal "window" here in a few to check it out closer.

Joe, I'm fairly certain that's what happened. Thanks man.

I'll update yall with what i find.

Back