• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Torque Converter Issue!

steve796

NAXJA Forum User
Yesterday, I swapped my '91 4.0L with a '96 4.0L in my Cherokee. Unfortunatly, I didn't bother the see if the torque converter from the '91 would fit the '96. The allignment shafts on the center are completely different and I do not have the torque converter from the '96 because it is manual. Mine is an automatic transmission with these numbers AISIN 8980 6. I have no idea where to look from here. I'm about the go down to the local transmission shop and see what they say.

As far as I know they are all the same from 87-01. Are you saying that the center of the torque converter won't align with the hole in the crank?

:thumbup: Glad you got it figured out.

Yesterday, I swapped my '91 4.0L with a '96 4.0L in my Cherokee. Unfortunatly, I didn't bother the see if the torque converter from the '91 would fit the '96. The allignment shafts on the center are completely different and I do not have the torque converter from the '96 because it is manual. Mine is an automatic transmission with these numbers AISIN 8980 6. I have no idea where to look from here. I'm about the go down to the local transmission shop and see what they say.

Was one of them a Grand Cherokee (ZJ and the other an XJ)? If so, you need to use the old flex plate and torque converter, as they are different.

So you went from a manual to the automatic? Trivial little details, LOL. I don't recall torque converters being used on manual transmissions.

There wasn't. Here what I did. I took an engine out of a jeep that had been rear ended pretty badly. when I got this jeep it had no transmission, transfer case, flywheel, or torque converter. But i was told it was manual. So when I went to swap engines, I found out that there was a pilot type bearing for the manual transmisson left in the end of the crankshaft. Well, before I found that out. I jumped straight into holy crap mode, what am I going to do now? Hence, the reason for starting this thread.

Back