• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cheap build up question

fatkidoutdoors

NAXJA Forum User
I have a new xj and wanted to know if any of you have ideas on cheap upgrades. I have 1000 dollars so here we start. It is a stock 89xj laredo 4 door. I have access to some new tires and rims for 550 the problem they are 33's so want to know what lift and backspacing I need to run them they are good tires and the rims are the black rock crawler just the cheap steal ones. The tires are goodyear mtr. so pretty good considering they are brand new. dont know what size lift I would need but obviosly dont have the money vor a sye and lift with the tires so here lies my prob. I know there is trimming involved not woried on that. I also and not going to do major flexing at all this is more my hunting rig and drove it everywhere I would use it this weekend with no probs at all. so more for some clearance issues and the mud. hope this helps and thanks in advance

Sounds like a good deal on the tires and rims, but you've got more than $450 to do to get your Jeep to a point where you can best make use of those. Instead, I'd recommend using the $1000 for a Budget Boost, 30x9.50 tires that will fit on the stock rims, and then wheel it. Use that to learn what the Jeep is capable of, and after you've built up confidence and ability you'll have a few hundred dollars seed money toward a taller lift, SYE, axle(s) and most importantly, armor.

You need somewhere around 5.5 to 6". You can find used stuff here and there. But the problem just starts here. You also need to re-gear, make sure your axles are up to the ask of heavier duty workout without snapping, make sure that your steering works correctly. You may even need SYE.

For the budget you have in mind a 3.5"-4" of lift and 31s should be your limit. You may be able to get by without regearing, but you may still feel it. Use the money to get quality parts (full leaf packs, full coil springs, better control arms) and do it right the first time.

Or just use the $450 you have left over to get a 3.5" lift. That, trimming, and extended bumpstops will fit 33's.

he just said this is his hunting rig and its mostly for mud clearance. Dont worry about much armor with 33's, maybe a tcase skid. As for what lift, you can fit it on 4.5 with about 4" backspace maybe a little more or less, others will tell you more on that. if your not worried about flexing, then you could prob take off the stock flares and trim and if you need to stay legal find some TJ flares. If you do the 4.5" lift you probably wont need an sye, and if you get some vibes just do a Tcase drop and shims, if your not worried about losing about an inch or less ground clearance. If you do the tcase drop a tcase skid would be helpful. As for what brand lift...depends on your money. RE being pretty high quality but also expensive. Then there other stuff like Rusty's which some like and others dont, that is a little cheaper. Also for less than 500 bucks you could go on ebay and buy a rough country lift...its all dependant on the budget.....hope that helps ya man.

hey if the tires are new then u found a steal there, since it is an older xj you shouldnt have to worry about having vibes until u get around the 5 or 6 inch mark, that is if your lucky anyway, i just lifted my 88, 5 inches no sye, no vibes whatsoever. im running 33 12.50s and the only trimming ive done so far is on the rear of the front fender, ive still got the flares on it, i just drilled a new hole a few inches farther back and bolted the flare on then trimmed the body about an inch and a half back. i only rub on the front on the front fender flare when im stuffed and turning, that should be fixed when i trim the front flares level with the bottom of the headlight bezels.

kolby

For your budget an ebay Rough Country lift of 4.5" is the best way to go.
Try these links for Rough Country:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7911765327&category=33585

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7910729487&category=33585

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7911285658&category=33585

This link is the best, it is a 5.5 RE lift with Pro Comp shocks. At currently $300 this is a steal, you could use the extra cash for any driveline problems, but it comes with a t-case drop.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7911629369&category=33585

Any of these lifts would be good options, they all inlude a t-case drop. Some of these lifts have free shipping others don't. If you don't have an ebay account, get one, it is free. Ebay will be a great source for cheaper aftermarket parts for your XJ. Let me know if you need help with ebay, I have been using it for a while. !!!!!My vote is for the last link, it is RE and has shocks and a tcase drop, and some great extras, plus only $100 for shipping to your door. Try to win that before someone else does!!!!!

going 3.5 lift and trimming want to cog low going to eventually switch out axles once they blow up. cant pass up on tires so going to trim the hell out of it we will see how it comes out

find a lift on ebay or the for sale forum here and try to do a 4.5 if u can. Then just cut the hell out of the fenders and even with stock axles u should be fine as long as you dont get to serious with the throttle around rocks and stuff like that. At 4.5 u might be able to get away w/o the SYE kit.

You have a problem with 33's: gears. Stock gears are going to be no fun in the mud with 33" tires. Compensate with the skinny pedal and the D35 is prone to deconstructing itself in a messy fashion.

I'd go for a 2" budget boost and keep your swaybars on. With the $350 you have left, try to find an 8.25 with 4.10 gears and a D30 with 4.10 gears and 297 u-joints. If you can find them locally, trade your axles. You might just stay in your budget, and then you'll have plenty of axle for your usage with enough gearing for 33's, and enough lift with trimming and swaybars connected to clear those tires.

Nay

u can run 33s with the stock gearing, its liveable but in no way is it great. in 4low when wheeling its not bad at all, yes im sure it would be ALOT beter with 4.56s or 4.88s but u can live with it for a while.

kolby

Drake00XJ said:
For your budget an ebay Rough Country lift of 4.5" is the best way to go.
Try these links for Rough Country:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7911765327&category=33585

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7910729487&category=33585

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7911285658&category=33585

This link is the best, it is a 5.5 RE lift with Pro Comp shocks. At currently $300 this is a steal, you could use the extra cash for any driveline problems, but it comes with a t-case drop.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7911629369&category=33585

Any of these lifts would be good options, they all inlude a t-case drop. Some of these lifts have free shipping others don't. If you don't have an ebay account, get one, it is free. Ebay will be a great source for cheaper aftermarket parts for your XJ. Let me know if you need help with ebay, I have been using it for a while. !!!!!My vote is for the last link, it is RE and has shocks and a tcase drop, and some great extras, plus only $100 for shipping to your door. Try to win that before someone else does!!!!!

The ebay re kit does look good, but it is for a mj and will work on an xj, but there are no spring packs in this auction. The kit still sells for $1,200 from re. You could get the kit for $500 or so and then do 2" block, shackes, and maybe a aal in the back to get your lift with your stock pack or get dakota packs and blocks to get your 5.5" or so. The Rough Country kit is a good deal on ebay and it is always being sold there for months/years because I have seen it that long, but I ended up getting a 91' xj nicely set up with 7" lift so I didn't get it from them. Don't bid too much because there will be other kits coming up every few days so get a good deal and don't stress if you get outbid. For 33's you will need 4.5" lift and some trimming of your fenders. Look at cheapxj.com for some tips, this guys has some really good ideas he has used a tight budget. So for $1K budget which is really low, you should be able to get your tires, rims, drop t-case spacers & 4-1/2 lift to clear your 33 MTRs. This will look really good. MTRs are great tires, I have 35's and they do awesome in the rock trails here in Nor Cal.

I got a 3" lift from directly from Rough Country for $220 with 3" coils, full length aal, 4 shocks, boots, and new leaf pack bolts. With this you can run 32's or so, but if you cut enough of you fenders than 33's are possible. You can always add a budget boost to this 3" combo for around a $100 and be around 5" which is more ideal and then you don't have to hack the fenders as much. For the bb get 2" front spacers and 2" blocks/shackles for the back. Maybe even get the 2" blocks instead of the aal in the 3" kit if you can for a little more and it shouldn't sag as bad as the aal will. Rusty's offroad has great deals on this stuff too and can piece you a lift together, but if you have the $ in hand then check in the for sale/wanted section and you should be able to get what you want for cheaper than new. 1K should get you your tires, rims, lift, and a few small odds and ends. Later you can get the lockers and gears for your tires. Be sure to check out cheapxj.com this guy has some good advice and will save you $$$, if you have a little time things will come around and you can get your parts for great prices, just look here, rusty's etc and piece a lift together for 4.5 to 5" of so and you should have enough for your 33's.
Troy

I agree with Troy about the lifts. You can always buy that RE lift on ebay and look for dakota an AAL or a full 5" to 6" leaf pack later. But becuase you are willing to hack your fenders, I thinks you can get away with a 3" lift and stuff 33's under it. This would save enough money to regear so it can be done within your budget and still be able to have a good ride.
P.S. if you want get into building your XJ, look for a higher paying job!

First thing you should get with that $1000 burning a hole in your pocket is rocker panel protection. ANY XJ going offroad needs that regardless of lift or any other mod. Then I'd get a mild lift lift and a set of tires- no more than 30 inches with stock gearing- then go out & see how she does.

WARNING- Modifying your XJ is HIGHLY addictive and can and will lead to wanting greater and better upgrades!

Here's a couple of websites I found useful. The one with the Ford front springs sounds pretty rough, but the info on the Dakota leaf packs would be right up your alley for 3.5-4.5" of lift, depending on whether you use the overload leaf or not.

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Suspension_Steering_Axles_and_Brakes/Budget_Lift.htm

This is the one I am planning on doing. It will fit 31's just fine, and that's all I want.
http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/home_brew_budget_boost.htm

The info on the first link about dealing with driveline vibes using a YJ slip yoke and a t-case drop matches up with what I have seen in the club I used to belong to.

By the way, is there a Jeep club in your area? If there is, they are usually a great source of cheap parts.

Geoff Cameron

Back