• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Camshaft and valve spring selection

Brian82

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone have experience with figuring out what valve springs to run with an aftermarket cam with a Later model cylinder head. Looks like there is no off the shelf high performance valve springs that will work, even with a mild/moderate camshaft selection. The ones I have seen require machine work.

I know a lot of people run the mopar valve springs. I believe these are the part number Mopar Performance springs, P5249464. Look up threads on aftermarket mopar valve springs. May try reading some on the Jeep stroker forum lots of good info there on this. New to these forums but haven’t seen much talk on this type of thing here when reading in the past.

Contact Russ P , he uses the new beehive springs from the LS1 motors!
P1080516_zpsybaiiwn0.jpg

Anyone have experience with figuring out what valve springs to run with an aftermarket cam with a Later model cylinder head. Looks like there is no off the shelf high performance valve springs that will work, even with a mild/moderate camshaft selection. The ones I have seen require machine work.

I searched many hours to find out the same thing. At the end I used comp cam 68-232-4 with crane cams springs Nr.96806 with multi-fit retainers Nr. 99969 and multi-fit 7 deg. valve locks Nr. 99101. It was a little bit tricky but it worked out well..

more info here:
https://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5340&p=47672#p47672

vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNBOUMv6fYc

I know a lot of people run the mopar valve springs. I believe these are the part number Mopar Performance springs, P5249464. Look up threads on aftermarket mopar valve springs. May try reading some on the Jeep stroker forum lots of good info there on this. New to these forums but haven’t seen much talk on this type of thing here when reading in the past.

Thanks.

What cam?
Hard to recommend springs with out know what cam you are using.
If you are going over .430 lift you are doing machine work anyhow so they don't need to be "drop in"

.460/.478 ex comp cams Xtreme 4x4 cam. 68-232-64

comp springs 926-12
yes they will require machining but you will need to do machining anyhow due to lift anything over .450 will contact the top of the guide.

To use ls1 springs and keepers I am pretty sure you need to use ls valves because stem diameter is different

Performance heads are not cheap and it is one area where you get what you pay for.

You can use the springs with stock valves since they both use 7* keepers!

A 7* lock is a 7* lock, you can get them in any stem size/configuration. The bottom line is that beehive springs are the best out there.

A 7* lock is a 7* lock, you can get them in any stem size/configuration. The bottom line is that beehive springs are the best out there.

While they have their applications saying they are the best out there is false.
Cam manufacturers have recommended spring pressures for a reason.

While a 7 degree lock is a 7 degree lock you very well may not be able to get the retainers needed in the correct diameter for the proper lock.
There is also where the grove is cut for the lock to take into account also.
Jeep valves are cut higher on the valve than LS valves.

There really is a bit more to it than "RussP uses them so they have to be good".
Don't get me wrong the man definitely knows what he is doing but it is a bit more complicated than just grabbing some ls1 beehive springs and slapping them on.

There is no such thing as the best cam. All cams raise and lower the valves. They vary by how much they lift the valves as well as when and how long they hold the valves open. While all the intake cam lobes are the same, the exhaust lobes may be different. The rotational relationship between the lobes can also be different.

All these factors make the engine run different. Some effect what rpm the peak power is developed. Some effect the width of the power curve, some the torque curve. Others even effect the emissions.

If you run a turbo, you might want a different grind. For rock crawling, you might want an "RV" grid. It provides more torque at lower rpms and over a wider band. If you are running quarter mile drags, you may want a cam for high rpm.

Personally on my 4.7L stroker, I run a RV cam. I love it because it puts your best power right in the middle of the speed you drive every day. I went from 14 mpg to 21 mpg. YMMV

Cam manufacturers have recommended spring pressures for a reason.

While a 7 degree lock is a 7 degree lock you very well may not be able to get the retainers needed in the correct diameter for the proper lock.
There is also where the grove is cut for the lock to take into account also.
Jeep valves are cut higher on the valve than LS valves.

it is a bit more complicated than just grabbing some ls1 beehive springs and slapping them on.

Got a example? I have never seen a cam card with recommended spring pressures.

As far as locks/retainers they are available in every configuration on the common automotive market. Yes they maybe "intended" for but are not limited in their application.

Beehive springs are not limited to the LS1 application, the ones Russ uses are not the recommended springs for a LS1, he does uses their valves though!

Back