• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fitting 35s???

Green2door

NAXJA Forum User
What's up guys, haven't been able to post for quite some time but I'll finally be home from Afghanistan in less than a month (hopefully) lol. But I was looking for advice from someone with a bit more expertise in body work i.e. cutting my fenders. I'm sitting on about 5.5in?? of lift with 33s and I NEED 35s 😊. I have everything to build my axles including trusses, 4.56s and new selectable lockers (all will be put in when I return). I don't wanna go up higher so I think cutting more is a good option. Let me know what you think. Advice, tips or if you're bored and wanna help with free beer I can make it happen lol. I look forward to meeting with y'all on some trail runs this year.

That's the best pic I have in my phone to illustrate how it currently sits.
26af43618ab660b2e0eada5c7636b5f8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

35's with a 4.5" lift. Trimmed and bump stopped to fit.

auFoyDT.jpg

And welcome back.

35's with a 4.5" lift. Trimmed and bump stopped to fit.

auFoyDT.jpg

And welcome back.
I remember commenting on your build. And thank you. Your xj has the perfect stance. Looks mine could clear as well when looking at ours side by side. Just trim the front up to the body line and properly bump stop.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yeah, too late for you now but I just used the stock flare as a guide.

And made everyone look like chumps on spring creek!

Ha Ha :D

Selectable locker up front with a limited slip out back helps. It’s not perfect and there is more to do, but overall I’m happy with it.

Last edited:
I’ve been out of the XJ world for a little while and was never familiar with the AW4, but wouldn’t 4.88s be better for 35s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did order 4.88s I'm not sure why I put 4.56..... I'll just say it was because it was a late night here :confused:.

But i also ordered OX selectable lockers front and rear. So if anyone wants to buy some auto-lockers for a dana 30 and a ford 8.8, they should be out of my jeep by April.

I did order 4.88s I'm not sure why I put 4.56..... I'll just say it was because it was a late night here :confused:.

But i also ordered OX selectable lockers front and rear. So if anyone wants to buy some auto-lockers for a dana 30 and a ford 8.8, they should be out of my jeep by April.

The ox lockers still cable actuated? I thought I saw them go a different direction at some point (air?).

Ox offers conversions to go air or electric but come standard as cable actuated.

Well Danny and I really don't count...lol

True, but at the same time when a rig on 35’s and stock axles walks up the same obstacle as the rigs on 1 tons and 40’s it kind of makes them look like chumps. Obviously that’s just because of that trail. No way I could or would take my Jeep up what you guys could. My XJ is a mild trail rig, not a built crawler. I’m not going to beat it up trying to get up trails it shouldn’t. That’s what the buggy build is going to be for.

As Dutch said they come with cable, electric and air. I went with cable because i like the idea of nothing failing. Even if the cable breaks it comes with a key to lock or unlock the locker on the diff.

I might be interested. Need to start building my axles.

True, but at the same time when a rig on 35’s and stock axles walks up the same obstacle as the rigs on 1 tons and 40’s it kind of makes them look like chumps. Obviously that’s just because of that trail. No way I could or would take my Jeep up what you guys could. My XJ is a mild trail rig, not a built crawler. I’m not going to beat it up trying to get up trails it shouldn’t. That’s what the buggy build is going to be for.

I wish I had started off with tube rather than an xj ...lol... At this point it's not a functional dual purpose rig that's a good driver to the trail it requires a trailer and still has the short comings of a rig that weighs almost 3 tons ... I do see it being sold or parts used on a prefab tube chassis as it does have all the good buggy parts now minus a v8 , but I hate to strip it since the body itself is heavily fabricated at this point. A chrome tube buggy weighs about 3500 lbs and can take a ton of rollover action due to weight without much carnage it also takes far less grip and energy to propel 3500 lbs up a waterfall than 6000 lbs

The JK guys at spring creek made everyone look good after they spent hours on that rock slab spinning and lifting tires because they were not recognizing the undercut back tire and just kept spinning and lifting wheels

Last edited:
Yeah, that's why I've built this XJ around a set of parameters and will be building a separate tube buggy for other stuff. I've gone down the road of trying to make full body rigs into buggy-esque vehicles and its not worth it to me. I'd rather spend the little extra money and just have it "right" first time. I also think it'll be way easier than trying to work around/modify all that factory frame/body.

Back