• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

32" tires, new gears?

Nuthinfancy

NAXJA Forum User
So im reading alot of people that re gear at 33" tires. But im going with 32"s and im keeping them that way for a long time. Do I need to consider regearing ? I have a stock 8.25. I almost think that I should, I mean, its a long shot off from stock thats for sure.

I HAD to re gear at 31's, after a year of 3:55's I could no longer bear it. I have an auto so I was always on the brakes when wheeling on a down grade, and it did not shift right

I see they cost about $250 or so for the ring and pinion set. But how much does it usually cost to have the shop do the work? Apparently I have the most knowledgle ring and pinion shop around and im not worried about poor work.

Im assuming I have to change them for the front as well huh?

Well, unless you wanna see your TC explode when you engage the 4WD....

its personal preferance really....there are recommendations for what gears to use for which size tire, etc...but it comes down to your driving style and what conditions you use it in...

Well I dont take it off road very often, its probably a 90% DD. 4.56 gears look super powerful, its going to kill me in gas mileage going to school and work. It looks like these ratio calculators online are telling me about 4.11 would get me back to stock specs.

I have a 5 spd, and 30's with 3.07 stock gearing sucked. When I went to 32's, I immediately went to 4.56's. They've worked out great!

Nuthinfancy said:
Well I dont take it off road very often, its probably a 90% DD. 4.56 gears look super powerful, its going to kill me in gas mileage going to school and work. It looks like these ratio calculators online are telling me about 4.11 would get me back to stock specs.

I have fairly new BFG 32's with 4.56's and I get around 16MPG. I would say 4.56's because that is the deepest you can gear anyway due to the chyro 8.25. You could always go up to 33's anyway and that might bring you closer to the number you want in the ratio calculator.

Nuthinfancy said:

What you also need to take into consideration is the extra lag of the bigger wheel with more rolling resistance. As soon as you get away from stock tread you WILL lose gas mileage. Your choice, but I think you should also go 4.56 because it will get you moving faster with less effort and, if you can control your top speed, still give you decent mileage numbers.:bunny:

Nuthinfancy said:
I see they cost about $250 or so for the ring and pinion set. But how much does it usually cost to have the shop do the work? Apparently I have the most knowledgle ring and pinion shop around and im not worried about poor work.

i just got a quote for 1434.37. to have 456's put in

Nuthinfancy said:
How do the 4.56s do with power on the steet, quick accelerations I assume? It sure sounds nice to have that.

Yeah, it gets up and goes, it's about the same or slightly better than factory acceleration

Nuthinfancy said:

Im assuming I have to change them for the front as well huh?

You can get all you need for both axles, shipped to your door for $450. Then take it to JCR offroad and get them to install them which will be around $400. So I would plan on around $1000 all said and done.

I have 32's and I'm gonna be doing a 8.8 swap with 4.10's and that's it. I have a 5 speed and its my DD so i need the MPG's.

2001XJ said:
You can get all you need for both axles, shipped to your door for $450. Then take it to JCR offroad and get them to install them which will be around $400. So I would plan on around $1000 all said and done.

Well thats kind of far away. Does anybody know of any good places in metro detroit?

I just put 4:10's in my 98 automatic and it is geared too low for the highway with 32's so I am going to 35's but then it won't be low enough and I will need to put in 4:56's, can't win for losing. You need to change your front carrier if you have a dana 30 in it. If all I did was off road it then 4:56's but with an auto shift and 32's IMO I'd go with 4:10's

Wrectec said:
You need to change your front carrier if you have a dana 30 in it.

What is that?

Anyways, what are some good companies that make ring and pinion sets for the Dana 30 and C8.25, and what websites are good and cheap?

Back