• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clutch disc woes (LONG)

Blair Williams

NAXJA Forum User
Well, if any of you read my recent thread about the installation of my tranny (Ax5, into a 1985 2.5L XJ), then you might remember that I had problems with the new clutch disc fitting on the input shaft of the tranny.

I had bought an aftermarket clutch because it was cheap, and i expected it to fit onto my vehicle, but the teeth that are supposed to meet the splines of the input shaft were 1-2 thousandths of an inch too small, so we filed them down to try to make it fit, but we got it to the point now where if we file it more it will make it worse. The disc slides freely on the shaft once its on but it has to be pounded on first, so obviously this won't do when its attached to the flywheel trying to get the tranny in. Eventually we broke down and called the local dealership to buy an OEM clutch disc.

We found that there was only a single one in the entire state, out in the middle of nowhere where it had been sitting on the shelf for years. We had it shipped here, at the cost of $140 dollars, more than the cost of the entire kit for the aftermarket one. Just opened it up, and guess what. It's not a clutch disc at all. It's a pressure plate. So we called the dealership again. They looked up the part number on the box, and have told us that the part number is correct, but apparently they put the wrong part into the box at the factory.

So the dealership calls up the jeep warehouse in chicago. No clutch disc there. Now they're calling the one in millwaukee. If they even have on there, it will be next monday or tuesday before the thing is even here.

To better explain my situation, i think i'll put this into monetary terms.

Parts jeep tranny pulled from: $300
Clutch kit, fluids, lines: $150
Clutch "disc" from jeep: $140, 120 of it returned
Labor: $200

Having a broke down pile of sh*t jeep: PRICELESS.

<snort> If'n these guys don't take care of you, call Ted (Parts) @ Lou's Sales, 630-232-2860.

ChiXJeff

Why didn't the dealer return ALL of your money for the "disk" they sold you? It was their problem that the part was packaged wrong, not yours.....

Blair Williams said:
Restocking fees plus shipping. :(
Restocking fees and shipping apply if you changed your mind. There is NO WAY you should be paying one single penny because they brought in the wrong part for you. Let them sort out the shipping costs with DaimlerChrysler, the dorks who marked the package wrong.

BTW -- it IS a DaimlerChrysler problem. I recently ordered a clutch disk for my '88 MJ 4-cyl. Dealer got it in, price was higher than I expected and the box seemed awfully heavy, so we opened it up. It was a complete clutch kit -- disc and pressure plate, but the part number just says "Disc."

Eagle said:
Restocking fees and shipping apply if you changed your mind. There is NO WAY you should be paying one single penny because they brought in the wrong part for you. Let them sort out the shipping costs with DaimlerChrysler, the dorks who marked the package wrong.

BTW -- it IS a DaimlerChrysler problem. I recently ordered a clutch disk for my '88 MJ 4-cyl. Dealer got it in, price was higher than I expected and the box seemed awfully heavy, so we opened it up. It was a complete clutch kit -- disc and pressure plate, but the part number just says "Disc."

did you get it for the same price ? :shhh:

Ditto what Eagle said - "restocking fees" are applied only to items that are returned due to no fault by the dealer, such as "I bought this part, but it turns out I don't need it". The dealer absolutely owes you both the restocking fee AND the shipping to return it. If the parts counter help won't do it, then speak to the parts manager or the general manager of the dealership - you'll get your money.

...that's a case of good beer there....it'll make the rest of your clutch job that much more enjoyable!

Back