• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Run but dies and won't start..

Rockdrummer93

NAXJA Forum User
Okay so not sure if this needs to be mod tech or oem tech but recently been having issues with my 01. Was out on the trail a few weeks ago and waiting for someone to get out of the way when it just dies and wouldn't start back up. I got it towed to the parking lot and it starts up again. It ran for about 20minutes then died again. Finally get it back on the trailer and home. First thought is crankshaft sensor cause it'll just turn over but won't start. So last Tuesday I finally got around to putting a new sensor in and drove it to my gf's house. When I got there and shut it off it wouldn't turn back on till later that night. I let it run for about an hour yesterday with a mechanical temp gauge hooked up and it never got too hot nor never shut off but when I turned it off and tried to start it again it would just turn over.. so am I still looking at a crankshaft sensor or something else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like heat soak to me. I have the same issue with my 01 when wheeling, even with hood vents.

The precats on the 01 generate a lot of under hood heat. Vents and an e fan timer to run the fan a few minutes after shut down is the way to go

Installed a genuine Jeep CPS or some crappy Chinese clone part ?

Cheap parts are cheap for a reason.

Ive been told that and I have taken it in to consideration.. it was a BWD sensor. Which I have a few more of their sensors on my jeep that haven't given an issue in years.. so yeah I'm probably gonna go get a mopar sensor soon. I've also been told it could be a cam sensor? Was there any known issues with these too?

Your first step should be to install a genuine Jeep CPS as the CPS is most common and most likely cause of the symptoms described.

I haven't yet don't have a reader.. but the cluster is reading no bus after a little while of just turning over. Fuel pump isn't priming but it does work if I jump the relay I have swapped out at least 10 relays to rule out if it was a bad relay. Gauges aren't working (gas/volts) oil pressure gauge will twitch but that's it.. I need this fixed before Thursday at the latest

well the no bus is your problem that means communication is getting cut and someone correct me if im wrong but I think its usually the pigtails for the cluster that are the issue and throwing parts at vehicles usually doesn't fix them

and this belongs in oem tech

If there is a no-bus and the engine does not run, there is a problem with one of the 5 volt computer sensors, or a sensor wire harness issue. A dashboard cluster no-bus has nothing to do with the engine being able to run or not run.

Test each of the sensors, especially the CPS. Inspect all of the sensor wire harnesses for damage, chafed wire insulation, and failed wire splices. Check the sensor wire plugs for corrosion, and bent or pushed back wire plug pins.

Hear soak shouldn't be the issue. Doesn't run rough or anything. I have vents but no fan timer

Heat soak could very well indeed be the issue. It's not a matter of heat soaking the engine as it is the starter. This is an old issue way back to the hotrod days, among various manufacturers. A hot starter won't start a vehicle.

EDIT: But, since it happens overnight, no, heat soak isnt the issue here.

Heat soak could very well indeed be the issue. It's not a matter of heat soaking the engine as it is the starter. This is an old issue way back to the hotrod days, among various manufacturers. A hot starter won't start a vehicle.

EDIT: But, since it happens overnight, no, heat soak isnt the issue here.

Yeah the start works like a champ 100% of the time so not thinking heat soak

Still having this issue.. I lost the key on my way back from AOP so it's been sitting. I got a new key made and went to try and figure out the issue once again yet no luck. It acts as if the issue has gotten worse. Cause it's been sitting for a few weeks now and won't start off the bat when it normally will after sitting for a little while. It's dark out so hard to check for broke wires and or harness issues.. I was told by a dealer friend of mine that when the "no bus" message is displayed start to in plug each sensor till the message goes away, that is the problem sensor will kill the message but haven't seemed to have any luck with that either.. really starting to get fed up with this stupid thing.. who's up for a bond fire?

So put a good computer in it today and still nothing.. I can get it to run if I jump the ASD and the fuel pump relays over but not for long and if I try again it runs out of time.. still stumped please help

Back