• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roof hole leak, roof racks

Ecomike

NAXJA# 2091
NAXJA Member
Well my XJs are getting old :bawl:

My new head liner is showing tell tail signs of a roof look. I found one nutcert hole rust out, only thing sealing the rain out was rust. The problem is the three center rails. I replaced the main left and right side runner nutcerts 10 years ago, but never bothered the center ones. The rubber under them has now dry rotted and disintegrated. :tear:

Any one fought this battle before? Got a parts source and suggestions for repairs, resealing short of removing the head liner, if that would even help??????

Did they use the same nutcerts on the inner 3 mini runners that they used on the major side rails? Is there an ebay link to them?

My '88 parts manual doesn't list them for the Cherokee. I see the screws and washers.

It does list them (called wellnuts) for a Grand Wagoneer. PN is J400 3120. It lists the quan as 12, so I don't think they are under the middle strips.

I just don't recall what mine looked like with I replaced my headliner. I can see the screws in the tracks that hold the rack.

I found the ones I used the last 2 times circa 2008, the ones the dealer sold me as replacements for the obsolete ones on the main roof rack rails.

http://www.thefastenerwarehouse.com/catalog/item/570438/5979747.htm

It turns out they are a GM part (no big surprise LOL). Dealer charged my $1.50 ea, I just 40 for .44 ea delivered :)

But I do not yet know if the fit the smaller inner three rails that protect the roof.....I suspect they are the same. They call them a jack nut LOL. They also were used on the side mirror mounts I read.
They are one hell of lot easier to install and are far stronger than OEM Renix rubber ones!!!!!

Roof Rack or Mirror Steel Jack Nut
Raintite Sealer Type
GM # 14007940

My '88 parts manual doesn't list them for the Cherokee. I see the screws and washers.

It does list them (called wellnuts) for a Grand Wagoneer. PN is J400 3120. It lists the quan as 12, so I don't think they are under the middle strips.

I just don't recall what mine looked like with I replaced my headliner. I can see the screws in the tracks that hold the rack.

i was under the impression the middle rails are just screwed into the sheet metal. i haven't looked into mine yet. but i will have to at some point.

I had leaks in my first XJ...pulled each screw one by one, put a dab (a big dab) of black RTV in the hole, put screw back in, problem solved.

Back