• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strange Headlight and Parking Light Issue

RenegadeStang

NAXJA Forum User
'98 XJ, had an issue with the front lights (headlights, turn signals, parking lights) and my instrument cluster. Randomly my odometer would switch to "night mode", my turn signal and hi-beam indicators would come on at half-brightness and my turn signal and parking lamps would illuminate at maybe 1/4-brightness. Still had the original multi-function switch in it and I knew it was a common problem, so I replaced it. All was good for about 2 weeks. Yesterday it started doing it again. Driving down the road, the issue with the lights would go back and forth from normal to abnormal, cycling about every 5-6 seconds. If I hit a turn signal, it would immediately go to the abnormal state. Any ideas? Maybe an issue with backfeeding power somewhere?

Check the headlight switch, consider replacing it. Visually inspect and test continuity for the positive and ground wires for each light, and check light bulb sockets/wire plugs for corrosion.

I know it's been a while, I was going through my old started threads and figured I'd update this one.

Turned out to be a loose ground to body connection in the engine compartment. Check those grounds! This was after I replaced the multi-function and headlight switches.

Back