• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear lower shock mount conversion

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
Ok, as jeeps go, things never end... it's alway a domino effect where one thing triggers another.... anyways, now that I got my new rear leafs, I need a simple, cheap quick way to redo my lower shock mounts as my shocks are too short!!!! I'm thinking about this:
http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoRearShockM.htm

Any big negative after effects to doing it that way???

Kejtar

I had a similar problem just a few weeks ago. I just replaced my spring pack with a new 7” pack and I want to move my shocks up and out the way. I purchase the Cross Enterprise shock hoop. I still had to replace the shocks, but they are now out of the way and the performance is very good. I went out to Los Coyotes last week end and I was very happy with the performance! Hope this helps.

Craig

well... unfortunately I'm trying to avoid having to replace shocks... as things will drastically change in teh rear by next summer (got a D44 sitting in the garage and that means new height, new shocks and so on...)

Kejtar

The only big negative would be some bind, and that depends on the pinion angle of you rear axle. You may get away with it for awhile, but you'll end up cutting them off and re-mounting them according to the pinion angle.

IMHO, just cut them off really well, then when you get your axle under the XJ all shimmed up them weld new ones or reuse the ones you cut off.

You should be able to keep your old shocks, if you lift you rear 3" and then move your shock mount up 3" the length should work well.

Go for it

I think that is about the best "zero budget" shock mount change that you could make. The only concern of mine is that you have increased the leverage on the bracket so it might be judicious to beef up the weld on the axle or weld on some straps. Make sure you post some pictures. And by the way I have a 44 on my garage floor waiting for the winter too.:)

If you are going to make the change...why not mount it on top of the axel....easy fab work and no hang.....
You can even buy the brackets at a dune buggie shop and in no time....your set.
Now for some truth in advertising.....I have not changed my yet either...one thing at a time..just finished the sliders....then bumpers and some bellly protection....then shock mounts......

Your shock mount probably won't add any significant stress to your axel housing..even if you are not running a perfect angle to the upper mount. Heim joints would save on any fatique on the shock bushing....

Just get a leaf spring perch cut it in half weld bolts on to it and then weld it to the top side of the axle. They are already notched for the axle tube and are only $3.00 - $5.00 each relly simple to do

I am lazy so I'm just going to cut mine off and weld these on...
shockmounts.jpg

...ORGS MFG. OGS922 Shock Mounts.

Jes

That is what I was talking about, Look at it, it is exactly the same as a spring perch cut in half with the chevy style shock bolts. That is what I used to have on mine before all the recent changes

XJCHUCK72 said:
The only big negative would be some bind, and that depends on the pinion angle of you rear axle. You may get away with it for awhile, but you'll end up cutting them off and re-mounting them according to the pinion angle.
Ok, now how is this gonna be different from what Jes and FullsizeXJ is suggesting? I'm trying to visualize things right now and I don't see how one would bind if the other doesn't.... I kind if picure it the "three musketeer style" one for all and all for one.

If the bind is to be angle related, since I am cutting off and rewelding I imagine that I could play with the angles a bit and instead of doing it as a straight weld on to keep things even, I could angle things down a bit....

Kejtar

What I'm saying is that the shock mounts you have now are with a OEM pinion angle. I know you have an SYE, so therefore, either you shim or relocate your spring mounts to acomadate for the change in pinion angle. In that you should also think about where your shock mount on the axle.

If you pretty much mount them back in the smae place like the way Gojeeps is sugesting, the bushing will be pinched due to your pinion angle.

I know I used pinion angle way too many times here, :D , I thought we already had a discusion on mounting your rear shocks on the D44 anyway. Do I need to do a search, :D

LOL....... well the way I see it, it is still possible to use GoJeeps idea as long as I play with the bend a bit... so that instead of following the line -- I end up with something a bit like -\ as needed :D I thought that you were talking more about the issue of the distance away from the tube up/down and forward/back :D

Thanks.
Kejtar

Why not just slap a set of Warrior "Universal" Shock Mounts on it (WAR101). Just mount them where the shocks line up for the right length. You can just use a bolt instead of having to fool with the stud. It's about as simple as it gets and they are pretty darn cheap. http://warriorproducts.com/ (Just pick shock mount from the slide out menu on the left.)
Mike B.

Remi,

You have little to lose from the Go-Jeep method (it looks much like I did on my 88). Why don't you just borrow my portable bandsaw this weekend, and hack away. When you get it the angle you want bring it back and we can weld it (after a trip for some 1/8 6011 rod, I may not have it on-hand).

I'll be filling a haulaway bin for the wife this "labor day" weekend.

Jes said:
I am lazy so I'm just going to cut mine off and weld these on...

Jes

I'm so lazy, I didn't even want to have to bother with anything new :D

DCN04.jpg

I just cut off the lower part of the mount, then cut off the center section, the re-welded the bottom portion back up on the existing mount. Never even had to weld on the axle tube.

Back