• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire recommendations

CantonXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I need to replace the funky Turbo Plus tires that were on my 99 Sport when I bought it last December. They are 235s which is the size I plan to replace them with. Living in Connecticut I, of course, have to deal with snow. I also do some light off-roading for camping and fishing with my sons. So I guess I'm looking for something with a decent all-season tread design that may likely return 30k-40k in tread wear. This is my daily driver so it is 95%+ road work I'm looking for. I'm currently looking at Falken Zeis STZ/04's. Anyone have any experience with Falken tires or better recommendations?

Also, can anyone ID these wheels? I picked them up on eBay for $200 for the set. Very clean with no road rash or curb crud. I think they were a dealer option in 2000, but I'm not sure and I've never seen them on any Jeep; XJ or otherwise.

jeep2.jpg

Thanks for any and all input!

Last edited:
if price isn't an issue, you can't go wrong with Michelin LTX's or some Uniroyal Cross Country's. Ride is great, and wit proper rotations and a good alignment they wear great.

I had my pro comp AT in the mud for first time the other day and didnt do to bad. They did clog up, but a little wheel speed cleaned them out. Also, probably only 6" deep of mud after rain. But wearing nicely. .02 no more, no less.

I have always sworn by, and always shall, the Goodyear Wrangler AT/S tires - absolutely remarkable tires. I bought a set of GY Silent Armors on the premise that they are an upgrade in every performance aspect to the AT/S and I found them to be lacking in many categories, most of all, snow performance (which other people seem to have not noticed). I have had nothing but good experiences off-road with the AT/S also, although I don't get into anything too crazy - just water/mud up to the door sills. They have uncanny amounts of traction and water-channeling abilities with remarkably small amounts of tread.

I would strongly advise Wrangler AT/S 235/75s or 30x9.5"s (roughly 242/75) to anybody.

Last edited:
Another shout for the Michelin LTX M/S... a great all-around tire. They did great in the snow here in MN this winter (which wasn't much this year, but we did get a few large snowfalls in the last week!)

They were a bit pricey at $525 (including tax, installation, and the full replacement warranties) but well worth it IMO, especially if they last as long as others say they do.

i love my bridgestone dueler AT revo's. they have great traction in all conditions. i was especially amazed with their snow performance. so far i believe they have close to 3k mi on them and show absolutely no sign of wear. pretty sure they have a 40k warrantee.

Back