• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

overextended caliper piston, how to compress?

I accidentally pumped my brakes when my front caliper was off the rotor with no pads on it, so the piston is fully extended, I can barely fit the rotor in the opening, let alone 2 pads.

When I compress the piston with the bleeder screw open, I feel binding in the piston.

How do I compress it? Thanks.

A c-clamp usually works well to compress it back down.

I tried that, with a piece of flat steel accross the piston to keep it straight - I can't get enough leverage on the c-clamp to compress it. the piston is fighting me too much.

Remove the cover from the master cylinder and scoop some fluid out so that it doesn't overflow as the fluid returns from the wheel. Crank the clamp slowly so that it doesn't flow back like a fountain and get fluid everywhere.

You may have the piston so far out of the bore of the caliper that it's cocked in the bore. Pushing now will only aggravate the problem. Make sure that the face of the piston is PERFECTLY PARALLEL to the plane of the disk before using the C-clamp.

Back