• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sticking caliper

ReBeL XJ

NAXJA Forum User
my passenger side caliper is sticking. how do i fix it?

I would look at three things in this order:

The caliper bolts (on which the caliper slides in and out). They can get rusty or dry, and cause the caliper to stick.
The can be cleaned and lubed.

The caliper base, which bolts to the spindle. There are sliding surfaces on which the moving part of the caliper rides. They can be cleaned up if rusty, but must be replaced if badly worn or eaten away.

The caliper piston. If it's rusted/stuck, you're probably best off replacing the whole caliper.

Well if you have a stuck caliper piston, they are really easy to rebuild, A caliper rebuild kit doesnt cost much, but you may need a hydrolic press to remove the stuck piston. Hope this helps

Also, if this happened after a pad change, you might have a kinked brake line. Inside the rubber hose is a hard teflon one that if kinked, will allow fluid to the piston but not back out. That's why you're supposed to be so careful to hang it instead of letting it drop down when working on the front brakes.

My advice.........

If is determined to be a stuck caliper, there is almost never a reason to rebuild a hydraulic brake component. Too risky on top of the fact rebuilds are too plentiful and relatively cheap. Might even have a hard time locating a caliper rebuild kit. Also always replace axle set- never just one side. Got to keep things balanced. The sometimes lifetime warranty on the rebuild is much better than no-warranty if you did the job yourself.

This is not a popular method but it worked for me. My YJ's front brakes got hung up. Some gentle (yet still forcefull) smacks from a hammar and all is well again. Give it a shot...

well ive gone through 2 passenger side inside pads in 2 months. it just started happening. so i think i will just replace them.

The same thing happen to me. Only it was the driver side that started locking up first. I changed it (not knowing I needed to change both at the same time) and the other side started locking up. So I changed it and had to bleed the brakes all over again. I would definitely change both at the same time. The rebuilt calipers are quite cheap. A week after that I decided to replace everything from the spindle out. Brakes work great now. If the brake lines from the inner fender to the caliper are original, I would go ahead and change them too. Good luck with your brakes.

90red

Back