• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

??? CPS Symptoms ???

gptherezonlyone

NAXJA Forum User
When your CPS on a 97 goes bad, what are the symptoms?

My check engine light is not on but I have a Code 43 and it will stall randomly and be hard to start back unless you reset the PCM. It will sometimes jerk and stall at light acceleration around 50 mph (only did this 5 times)???????????????????????????????????

Just for fun - run the CPS harness with your fingers. I had one melt through slightly on the exhaust, and got intermittent stalls and hard starting, caused by the harness grounding out on the exhaust manifold. I changed the part and will fix the wiring later (it's in the toolbox right now...)

Good news - you don't have to go to the dealer for yours, there are aftermarket CPS units available for 91-up XJ... Start at Quadratec, and you might want to keep an extra about (usual service life is somewhere around 100-150Kmiles, but why buy trouble?)

5-90

Sounds like its a CPS, I had one go bad on me too. Its really easy to chane. Just 2 little bolts and pull the plug.

It looks easy, but it's not (unless you have three elbows and skinny arms...)

If you find a 3' extension for your ratchet, buy it. Also, get a socket in 7/16" or 11mm (same size either way) that has the universal joint inbuilt, as this will give you an extra inch of clearance between the back of the bellhousing and the firewall. Makes a HUGE difference!

Also, if you have access to a Dremel, you can notch the bracket on the new CPS (CAREFULLY!) so you can slip it onto the bolts. I don't have the wherewithal to post pix right now, but I'm sure someone has somewhere - and it's a great idea (saves the risk of losing the bolts in the bellhousing in future changes...)

5-90

Back