• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trail tools

Folks is there no such thread? Or even your own selections. What must have trail tools do you all keep in your rigs toolbox!

Last edited:
I have two bags of tools that I carry on trails. One is a CLC backpack that has all my basic mechanic hand tools that I take everywhere--standard and metric sockets and wrenches, screwdrivers, vice grips, multimeter, etc. The backpack is handy for getting the basic tools into junkyards or down a hill. The other is a shoulder bag of automotive specialty tools that I only bring on trips--fuel pressure gauge, spark tester, compression gauge, TRE puller, Pittman puller, ball joint puller, etc., things I don't carry into the junkyard.

Since I rarely do extensive work on anything but the Jeep (Harley is rock solid so PM is my only need on that every couple months), I just take any tool I've used on it and toss it in my bag. I've been looking for a roll out mat that I can put tools in, but I may go the backpack route like EHall. Done right, that could replace a couple tool boxes I have.

Folks is there no such thread? Or even your own selections. What must have trail tools do you all keep in your rigs toolbox!

go to google and type "your search question" site:naxja.org and it will bring up a list of everything related on this site. trail tools site:naxja.org - will get you what you are looking for.

Not long term, but long enough to get you off the trail. I have a buddy who is an old school seabee who claims to have done it plenty of times in remote areas with enough success to make the Navy happy and keep him safe. I'd never do it for a long term solution. If you are worried about penetration, preheat, and I assume it would work fine with a real welding rod.

Aside from basic tools I have a large crescent wrench (14" I think), rolling wedge bar, 3/4" X 8" long brass rod, a wrench for my control arms (long arms), impact driver, 1/2" breaker bar with 3/8" adapter, air pressure guage, magnet on an extension (like the old radio antennas.

I also carry teflon tape, electrical tape, duct tape, cotter pins, an assortment of fuses including maxi-fuses, tie-wraps. and two small bags with an assortment of nuts bolts and washers.

Last edited:
toolbag_zpsd634a49e.jpg

great posts guys thank you for them and anyone else please keep them coming. I started this thread because there are many suggestions on tools that people like to carry but not specific to the cherokee. i know it set ups vary in tooling but the core of what we all would like on the trail exists for the XJ. those above have helped greatly and i hope other have good input on what they have used,needed, and carry!

Invest in good wrench rolls, they take up less space in the jeep and help keep your wrenches organized.

Invest in good wrench rolls, they take up less space in the jeep and help keep your wrenches organized.
Where do you get good wrench rolls? I buy these and they start coming apart after a couple of years.

Where do you get good wrench rolls? I buy these and they start coming apart after a couple of years.

Made in Colorado, from components made in the USA. If you peruse the web site, you will find they do custom orders. I learned of them from a local who set up a group buy.

http://adventuretoolcompany.com/

Tom, if you ever needed an excuse to drive to Nederland, this might be a good one. I could use a couple (or more) wrench rolls. :)

Damn, with prices like that, I can't afford the tools to go in them.

Back