• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MT-2500 scanners Snap-on

Ecomike

NAXJA# 2091
NAXJA Member
Any one here even have one of these?

If so will any of the Chrysler cartridges work with jeeps, 87-90 or 91-95?

Or does the cartridge have to also say Jeep on it to work on say the Renix 87-90 jeeps?

Also wondering if the GM cartridges cover Saturns.

I have an MT2500 and can talk to all 1987 - 2001 XJs using GM/Chrysler/Ford/Jeep though 2000 (MT25002900) cartridge, Jeep-1 adaptor for Renix, Chry-1 adaptor for OBD1, and OBD-II plus key K-13 for the ODB-II Jeeps.

I have an MT2500 and can talk to all 1987 - 2001 XJs using GM/Chrysler/Ford/Jeep though 2000 (MT25002900) cartridge, Jeep-1 adaptor for Renix, Chry-1 adaptor for OBD1, and OBD-II plus key K-13 for the ODB-II Jeeps.

Just the one cartridge? Can you troubleshoot or just read codes? It does not give any transmission codes does it?

Thanks for feedback.

Edit: I see that cartridge is a troubleshooting cartridge

http://buy1.snapon.com/products/diagnostics/cartridge_chooser.asp

But don't you need a primary cartridge to enable that secondary troubleshooting cartridge? Are are you getting away with just that one cartridge?

Last edited:
I used to have a MT2500 that I used to read live data off renix. it did not read renix codes though, just live data.I had the jeep troubleshooter cartridge too.

Well some of the ebay buys are starting to dribble in each day, Will be another week before I have everything I bought. I got in deep, about $300 spent already, but I am trying to cover 96 Fords, Renix Jeeps and 2001 GM-Saturn for starters. The OBD-II stuff was costly, about $180 extra. Got the bare MT-2500 brick in nice shape for $70 and about $60 for 1990 era Renix coverage. Still need the power cables, battery eliminator... stuff, I think, or maybe not. May need another $100 in cartridges to handle the 2001 saturn :( Did score a 1999 transmission troubleshooting cartridge :) for under $40 :) :yelclap:

No power cables needed for Renix or OBD-II. Chrysler OBD-I requires a power pickup but you can easily make that for under $5 (it's just a male barrel connector, length of wire, and clip for the positive battery terminal).

No power cables needed for Renix or OBD-II. Chrysler OBD-I requires a power pickup but you can easily make that for under $5 (it's just a male barrel connector, length of wire, and clip for the positive battery terminal).

I suspected that, so that thanks for confirming it.

The base cartridge I have is the Vehicle Communication Interface, Programmable (MT2500VCI).

Those are expensive and hard to get by them selves.

I suspected that, so that thanks for confirming it.

If you really want to geek out get a serial cable for it and hook it up to a computer.

Engine
473640_3188519285344_1988296376_o.jpg

Transmission
414915_3188520125365_1035474807_o.jpg

You can also get a printer for it but I've never really rationalized that.

Here is a great resource for the snap-on MT-2500 manuals online while they last!!! They may not be online much longer, as the MT-2500 was replaced 7 years ago. Most parts are only available used.

I would love too but not sure what the cable part number is or where to get the PC software now days????

It's a standard serial cable. You just need to have the right ends for your equipment. As for software PuTTY can do it easily.

By "right ends", you mean Snap-on custom wiring pin to pin right? or the old style PC serial connectors? and a standard old serial cable like the dozen I have on the shelf gathering dust? (At least I think they are standard, they came with battery back ups I used for years before I switched to lap tops for good.

It's a standard serial cable. You just need to have the right ends for your equipment. As for software PuTTY can do it easily.

What are the set up settings to use for config PuTTY as it installs?

Okay my memory was off. it uses an RJ11 connector. You can easily make it or order the cable: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Snap-On-Too...:g:AGkAAOSwZ8ZW3bck&item=301950944338&vxp=mtr

The other end of that is a DB25 so you will likely need a DB25M to DB9F adaptor. Set your terminal program to VT100. You set the buad rate in the communications settings on the brick, set your terminal software to that speed, no parity, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit.

Wow, thanks, I actually remember what all that stuff means, :D

Not many of us left that do. My father was one of the last code writers of Cobal (1984) which became a hot skill for the Y2K bug prep LOL in 1999.

Okay my memory was off. it uses an RJ11 connector. You can easily make it or order the cable: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Snap-On-Too...:g:AGkAAOSwZ8ZW3bck&item=301950944338&vxp=mtr

The other end of that is a DB25 so you will likely need a DB25M to DB9F adaptor. Set your terminal program to VT100. You set the buad rate in the communications settings on the brick, set your terminal software to that speed, no parity, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit.

My MT-2500 arrived early and DOA. Had to use a chisel to pry the old battery out :tears: , but I got lucky, no damage and the dry run (not attached to a vehicle yet) worked perfectly with a new durcell 9 V battery, so I have 2 good 83-97 US domestic cartridges, primary - troubleshooting pair, and now I just need the damn special decoder key ring "serial cable" I got the details on too late. It is on order now. Got a K-20 key thinking it would be better than a K-2a but now the story has changed so I have K-2a key on the way as well. Scored a 2500-46b connector for using the keys and for OBD-II use. It looks OK, but untested till the cable arrives. The 1999 transmission troubleshooting cartridge arrived but it says Asian only (not what they sold me)+, so that ebay seller has some serious explaining and arse kissing to do...now....

Getting close to being able to plug and play!!!!!!:D

Latest score on the $ tab is $350 so far.

That cable says for printing, I assume dirrectly to the printer?

Are you saying that same cable will work with the old style PCs as well for displaying the data on a larger monitor, as well as for printing?? I thought long serial connector was smaller? I thought it would different cables?

The one on the right side of this printer is more the size I would have expected for connecting to the PC, but my memory is very vague on these. I see the larger one of the left side. Very interesting adapter on the right side of that printer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SNAP-ON-SCA...9cbe64e&pid=100005&rk=2&rkt=6&sd=301950944338

Last edited:
FYI the battery is not required to run the device. The battery in to run it disconnected.

As for the cable the same cable is used for a printer or a computer, it's just a serial cable with the appropriate ends, in fact you could easily make it event, I have the pinouts in the manual from my Brick.

Back