• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Impact Driver

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
NAXJA Member
I am looking to get an impact driver that I can carry with me to the junk yards and on the trail and to use around the garage.

I am looking in the $99-129 range and see a number of them on Black Friday sales this weekend. Looking at the 18-20 volt drivers.

Anyone have any real world experience with a specific brand to consider or stay away from? Looking at Milwaukee, DeWalt, and perhaps Bosch and Hitachi.

Thanks

Milwaukee Fuel. best out there at the moment.

milwaukee FUEL. I have the one that does 1100 ft lbs of nut busting torque . It has changed my life.

How do the Milwaukee batteries hold up? My Ryobi batteries go bad after about 2 years but even new, their impact driver was less than stellar. I switched from a Ryobi battery operated sawsall to a Mil. corded sawsall and it was so much better I regret waiting so long to do it. If the Fuels are that much better too, I can avoid buying a bigger compressor and air tools.

I ended up getting a Milwaukee M18. I looked at the Fuel, but felt that the M18 would be fine for what I need it for. Think I got a good deal. It was on sale with the charger, one battery, and the carrying case for $99.

This one advertises 1500 in lbs of torque.

When I was holding the box reading it, some random guy walked up and said "that's one hell of a driver" and just walked off.

So I got it....

I ended up getting a Milwaukee M18. I looked at the Fuel, but felt that the M18 would be fine for what I need it for. Think I got a good deal. It was on sale with the charger, one battery, and the carrying case for $99.

This one advertises 1500 in lbs of torque.

When I was holding the box reading it, some random guy walked up and said "that's one hell of a driver" and just walked off.

So I got it....

I have 2 non fuel, used them in a race car and garage. Wanted more and got the Fuel. The reg M18 are nice yes. But alot more torque I found in the fuel. Using the same exact batterys as the M18, As I only bought the tool and no new batterys. Does everyone need that torque, no. But its nice when doing diffs, heavy susp stuff and rusted together items.

I love all my milwaukee stuff.

Just an fyi 1500 inch pounds is about 125 ft pounds.
The gun blondejon was talking about is much bigger eith 1100ft-lbs. I use the fuel 1/2" drive model with 220ft-lbs and also have the non fuel one you purchased. They are all rock solid tools. My non fuel model is pushing 5 yrs and still going strong.

How do the Milwaukee batteries hold up? My Ryobi batteries go bad after about 2 years but even new, their impact driver was less than stellar. I switched from a Ryobi battery operated sawsall to a Mil. corded sawsall and it was so much better I regret waiting so long to do it. If the Fuels are that much better too, I can avoid buying a bigger compressor and air tools.

Ryobi is shit.
Biggest thing is full discharging the batterys before recharging. DO NOT just put em on the charger because its friday afternoon.... Discharge them 100% then recharge, same as on 95% of rechargeable batteries these days.

Another chiming in on Milwaukee. I have the M12 1/4 with 3.0Ah battery. This zips through everything inside an XJ and some light stuff outside. I also have the Fuel M18 3/8 impact. This will do everything else you need. I only get the Fuel 1/2 out for bigger things; lugs/axle nuts, control arm bolts and some rusty things here and there. My go to though is my 3/8 impact. There is also a M12 ratchet that could come in handy in tight places. I picked one up but based on how slow it was and lack of power I returned it. There are times I need that exact tool though, but I get by with a ratchet/gearwrench.

My friend uses the Ridged line. Cheaper and has held up very well. The new X4s are great and brushless. He has the older X4s on 1/4 and 1/2. If you don't just have a hard on for Milwaukee, check these out.

I've had an opportunity to use the M18 on a few occasions and I am very impressed. I've used it around the garage to hang air hose reels, pull lug nuts, and some random suspension bolt use.

I am very pleased with my decision - and a little pissed off that I didn't get one a couple years ago!!!

I bought a Craftsman C3 200 ft/lb cordless the other day for a quick job, less than $100. I was trying to help a girl with an SYE conversion on her TJ and the front yoke nut was stuck, could not get it off with a 3 foot bar. Sears was the only thing open on Sunday morning, reviews were all 4- and 5-stars, and since my dad had some batteries I figured I could let him have it afterwards. It did everything we put it on, with no sweat at all. I'm sure its not as good as the Milwaukee but for something to take to the junkyard its pretty good pick.

I love my ryobi combo kit, 1/4" impact and a basic 1/2" drill with two batteries and a charger.. For only $99.

I've had them for a little over a year and have beat the piss out of both, physically they look 20 years old now, But the batteries still charge great, last a decent while.. And the impact has no problem taking lugnuts off..

Sure, there is far better available, but I've found this kit to be the best $100 I've spent in a long time

I bought a Craftsman C3 200 ft/lb cordless the other day for a quick job, less than $100. I was trying to help a girl with an SYE conversion on her TJ and the front yoke nut was stuck, could not get it off with a 3 foot bar. Sears was the only thing open on Sunday morning, reviews were all 4- and 5-stars, and since my dad had some batteries I figured I could let him have it afterwards. It did everything we put it on, with no sweat at all. I'm sure its not as good as the Milwaukee but for something to take to the junkyard its pretty good pick.

2nd this impact. I have the same one for the past 9 months. Completely took apart an XJ lifted 7 years ago (antiseaze was used though) without any sweat. I barely ever break out a breaker bar or rachet anymore. For the price you cant beat it in my opinion.

Iv'e got the larger Ryobi 1/2" impact and it has worked well for me considering the low price point. I only went with it because I was already invested in their battery system and needed one *now* for a yard run. Battery life is good with their lith ion packs.

Pulled a Pittman arm off an old YJ box today, no sweat. Had to back and forth a few times but it broke free and slid off withing a few minutes. The arm has been on there for a really long time, I bought it like that and couldn't get it off when I installed it a few years ago.

YJ_Pittman_Removed.jpg

I saw the Milwaukee Fire in a Posners today and the box says it is rated for 120 ft/lb, while this Craftsman says 200 ft/lb. Is that right?

I think the Milwaukee is around 1,200 like they left a zero off. I don't know if this battery operated ones are anything like air, but I find I use less air with a more powerful impact because it zips the stuff off faster.

Back