• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Going to a passenger side drop

Red_daggsXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have been thinking of switching to a passenger side drop because I have access to a set of chevy 3/4 ton axles. Wondering if any of you XJ guru's know the easiest way to go about doing that or if it's possible. I have a 1996 automatic tranny, and if I can throw a transfer case on that has a flange output as well, then that solves the SYE kit issue as well.

Thoughts? ideas? any for sale?

I think the biggest issue is going to be that the exhaust is in the way. Unless you route it straight back from the manifold and around the trans/t-case. Or run it back on that side vs the pass side. I still see that being difficult tho.

As far as Tcase, might be a good time to go 231/300 doubler, you wouldn't need to run a flip kit since the dana 300 is passenger drop to begin with. Just something to ponder, I don't know what direction your build is taking but I have seriously been considering 231/300 doubler in my 97 but with a flip kit to keep it drivers drop.

I think the biggest issue is going to be that the exhaust is in the way. Unless you route it straight back from the manifold and around the trans/t-case. Or run it back on that side vs the pass side. I still see that being difficult tho.

The manifold comes down on the driver side, so there ought to be a way to get it back on that side, but that would be the biggest problem.

However the doubler idea sounds interesting, either way I think it will involve some more time laying in the driveway under the jeep.

Thanks guys for all the help.

Not sure but you might have to reshape the tans tunnel to to make it fit.
This was my first thought. If you look a a bare XJ floor pan, there's a big bulge on the driver's side to accommodate the T-case. The drivers seat mount is a mess to get around it. My guess is, you'll have to make something like that on the passenger side, then make a custom seat mount for the pass. seat.

Since you have heavily mod the front axle to mate to the front suspension anyway, could you swap the front for a ford or dodge axle, and avoid the T-case work?

This was my first thought. If you look a a bare XJ floor pan, there's a big bulge on the driver's side to accommodate the T-case. The drivers seat mount is a mess to get around it. My guess is, you'll have to make something like that on the passenger side, then make a custom seat mount for the pass. seat.

Since you have heavily mod the front axle to mate to the front suspension anyway, could you swap the front for a ford or dodge axle, and avoid the T-case work?

It's just finding the parts here at a decent price is the hardest part. I can get chevy axles all day long, it's the ford/dodge ones that are expensive. It almost seems like it would be easier to swap the tubes on a chevy housing rather than trying to figure out the t-case swap and exhaust re-routing.

I'll be heading to the junkyard soon enough to do some hunting around.

Vetteboy on Pirate did a passenger drop. I was considering it for a while because I had a free D44 passenger from my last rig, but eventually got a driver drop for $250 to make it easier on myself. It will be a lot of work. Having my low skill sets influenced my decision a lot. If you are handy with scrap metal and a welder, you can probably manage it at a reasonable cost. But overall, it may not end up any less than springing for the driver drop, depending on what other mods you want to do at the same time.

unless someone is giving you the chevy 3/4ton axles. it isnt worth the money and time to swap them in. as you can find a ford d44 and not have to change the tcase.

not to jack his tread but i lookin at doin a dana 300 with chevy 60 front. my only question is about mountin up the control arm and the track bar mount on the pass side. i believe the pass side control arm mount would be just lie mounting one to a driver drop. but what about the track bar mount?

unless someone is giving you the chevy 3/4ton axles. it isnt worth the money and time to swap them in. as you can find a ford d44 and not have to change the tcase.

I agree, don't even bother with pass drop unless its a 60, if its a 44 just get a ford unit.

I run a pass side drop 60. 231-300 doubler, upper arm is on the drivers side and exhaust runs down the drivers side.

There is a lot more work to doing a pass side drop axle than its worth if you are only doing a 44 front.

i put a pass drop d44 under my jeep. i used a dodge np241d only thing i had to modify on the tcase was the input spline(your tranny has 23 spline, so you wont have to anything but bolt it up) because my jeep has 21 spline input. as far as the floor, i just cut out a big hole so it would fit, gives easy access to driveshaft and case for repairs/maint. you can take a look at my thread and all the nice negative comments people give about custom building a jeep the way you want it.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=976383

Have fun with your build!!!

People left negative comments because you were an arse to them for saying neutral/slightly negative things. That happens. I hope this thread doesn't get derailed by it.

As for the exhaust issue, just run a stack :gee:

Back