• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Concerns with Gas hot water heater in garage?

iwannadie

NAXJA Forum User
My new place has the gas water heater in the garage, I've never had that setup before. Are there any worries with that? I have always used the weekend warrior types of chemicals and kept a 5 gallon gas can in my garage. There are two decent size vents and all my shop stuff will be on the oppesite side of the garage. Should I be ok with the usual stuff in the garage or is it really a risk with the open flame?

My Pops used to store gasoline away from any important structure. If the worst happened, he still had a house (first), and workshop (second). He also kept the workshop separate from the house.

You need to audit your "weekend warrior" chemicals and segregate any that can have vapors ignited by an exposed flame.

I've always had a gas water heater in the garage along with countless other chemicals.

I don't store them right next to each other, but its never been a problem.

My Pops used to store gasoline away from any important structure. If the worst happened, he still had a house (first), and workshop (second). He also kept the workshop separate from the house.

You need to audit your "weekend warrior" chemicals and segregate any that can have vapors ignited by an exposed flame.

Everything except the gas can is sealed really. I just wonder if using things like PB Blaster or other cleaning chemicals in the garage will cause enough fumes to ignite. Seems like a huge space to ever be a problem but I'd rather not blow things up ha.

I may look to add an exhaust fan to one of the vents maybe to help circulate fresh air in.

I wouldn't spray stuff like that with all the doors/windows closed.

but that's more for my brain than the risk of igniting.

I would limit cleaning parts with gas and spraying cars in the garage. :greensmok

There's no windows or doors other than the main door, just 2 vents maybe 12"x16" one floor and one ceiling height. I really wish there was a side door or windows.

One of my buddies had that setup. His brother spilled a little gas while filling up the lawnmower, the fumes ignited, the fire went up the attic stairway and spread through the entire roof. Fire department was there promptly, so the entire house was water damaged rather than burnt. Your results may vary, but I would take zero chances of any sort of flammable fumes building up in there.

Wow, I will leave the gas out of the garage for sure. I can't think of anything else that would put off a ton of fumes though really.

Seems like a really dumb choice to put a gas water heater in a garage sigh.

every house I have ever lived in or been in has had the gas water heater in the garage.

Back