• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Coolant Temp sensor

jfiscus

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1993 XJ 4.0L.
I have never had the temperature gauge working in the dash.
The fan kicks on if I idle for a while (I assume that it was cooling sufficiently).
Which sensor do I need to replace to get the temperature gauge to work?
I have the full gauge dash, not idiot lights. If someone knows the part # at Advance or AutoZone that'd be great too.

- jason

Your 93 has two temp sensors.The one for the guage is in the head near the firewall.Check to see if its unpluged.

The sensor in the thermostat housing is for the ECU and aux fan--both of which you say work.

A search will turn up many threads

Wayne

Wayne Sihler said:
Your 93 has two temp sensors.The one for the guage is in the head near the firewall.Check to see if its unpluged.

The sensor in the thermostat housing is for the ECU and aux fan--both of which you say work.

A search will turn up many threads

Wayne

This was my assumption. I have replaced that sensor back by the firewall with what AutoZone sold me as supposedly the correct part. (my old one was broke during my motor swap) After I replaced it I still had no gauge reading in the dash.

When I start my XJ the gauge "moves all over" until it is finished cranking then it assumes its regular position at the left edge?

Is there a difference between gauge clusters & temp sensors in 1993?

jfiscus said:
I have a 1993 XJ 4.0L.
If someone knows the part # at Advance or AutoZone that'd be great too.
- jason

http://www.advanceautoparts.com/

Enter in your vehicle info., search for "sender", and you'll get several brand choices. Just pick the ones for guages and not the light.

:cheers:

Or the sensor wire is broken too.

Back