• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Expedition Build

00'CherokeeXJ

NAXJA Forum User
So I finally have a good amount of funds built up and im now ready to build up my stock cherokee. I pretty much want to build my Jeep to the point where I can just go on adventures and make it somewhat like a very long range expedition rig. I was going to go with a "zombie response vehicle" theme, but as much as it hurts to say it, a real outbreak will never happen lol. So here is my parts list and feel free to give me crap or constructive criticism or whatever it may be.

Rough Country 4.5" Long Arm with SYE and CV Drive-shaft

VW 1.9 Diesel swap which can get up to or more than 40mpg

35gal gas tank

Auburn Ected Locker

not sure which wheels and tires but prolly 18's on 33's

More will be added to this list but this is to start. I figure getting 35mpg with a 35 gal fuel tank I can get at least 1000 miles on a full tank. Here are some links for the motor swap.

http://www.kilometermagazine.com/ar...-Powered_Jeep_to_Debut_at_2010_SEMA_Show.html

http://www.hpamotorsports.com/TDI-YJ-AX5.htm

http://www.overlandcanada.com/forum/showthread.php?t=871&page=3

Haha I love the video. But anyways the 1.9 with ecu programming and a new cam will have 200hp and 290ft/lbs tq which is better than the 4.0. Also the motor is about 150 lbs lighter.

If you're going diesel, why a VW and not a 2.5? Seems like a lot of Fab work IMO.

eh I see no problem with throwing some bling rims on, I mean it's not like your gonna be beating the hell out of this thing right?

VW pretty much because it has the best fuel economy and I actually found a company that does this swap(link in first post), plus the fact that it has so much torque with two simple mods. Also there really wont be much fab work aside from welding on new motor mounts. And which 2.5 are we talking about?

you need to do a lot of research. a lift, a name of a locker, wheel and tire size and a pipe dream motor swap are a sign you really havent done much aside from oogle over a TDI motor.

the RC leafs wont be able to handle the load of all the equipment youll be hauling. 18s with 33s is just gonna eat your money. i mean, if you wanna swap the engine... go ahead. its just a headache imho. the 4.0 is cheap as hell to run and maintain, and will handle almost anything you can throw at it- overheat it, run it low on oil, make it breathe in pounds of sand and dust, stand on the rev limiter.. itll keep going.

i doubt youll get 35-40mpg, even if you had a brand new TDI drivetrain in a stock XJ. the thing is a brick. plus, itll be an overweight, up in the air brick on mud tires with a roof rack and probably a trailer after youre done with it.

you also need gears, and EQUIPMENT. exp gear is effing expensive. and you need to make sure youre truck is reliable.. down to every bolt. so youll also need to carry spares. thats more weight. expect a total close to (if not over) 4500lbs with some unibody bracing, gears, and big tires. i was a floating around 4300lbs loaded with gear, on skinny 33s and alloy wheels, and 0 unibody bracing, without accounting for my passenger's weight when i drove cross country. VW didnt design the 1.9 TDI for that.

Yes a TDI can get ~40 mpg. In a Volkswagen! You'd be lucky to get 25 with what you have planned there.

How many expedition rigs do you see on 18-20" wheels with only a 33" tire? Not many. That's either because they're not as cool as you, or there's a ton of good reasons not to.

You need to do a lot of research.

Ok problems just to name a couple because in all honesty I dont think this will get off the ground but all the power to you if it does. Its nice to see people build things that aren't common, but sometimes theres a reason why they dont. lol

- RC leafs wont handle the weight of gear, spares, extra fuel tank you suggested, etc
- 1.9 is comparable in numbers ONLY, look at where the torque is on that motor... not good for our purposes
- 35mpg isn't going to happen so get that number out of you head, its not the motor alone that gives you good mileage, its the body design and since you havent noticed yet the XJ is a brick on wheels and once its lifted its like driving a building down the road.
- Expedition vehicles are all about reliability and the 1.9 under that stress will be having all kinds of issues where as the 4L can be drown in mud, rolled over, low on oil, blown gaskets, crazy ticks and it'll always get you home
- 18s... I think you have expedition vehicles confused with Pimp My Ride, busta rhymes is nowhere to be found in this industry.

Thats it for now, if i repeated anyone my bad. I didnt read the lower posts.

I have to agree with those above....

If the vehicle you have doesn't have the right motor, then you don't have the right vehicle.

Unless everything is free why go through the hassle?

Either live with the XJ, or sell it and buy something else that is factory built.

It will be much less hassle in the long run.

if you want a reliable diesel... look at the cummins 4bt. its been done plenty.

but its still slower and gets the same mpg as a 4.0

theres a dude on LI whos been running a 4bt in his YJ for years, and my buddy around the block just picked one up for his 97 TJ. cool? hell yea. worth it? nah, not imo.

My thoughts:
Don't let anyone tell you it takes a lot of equipment to make an "expedition vehicle" - just know the limitations of your vehicle and start slowly, developing good judgement via small mistakes instead of large ones. Bring spares of the common breaks, hand tools & add "beef" as necessary. Dirt roads don't require lockers & lifts... just don't plan on "wheeling" anything your rig can't handle. Similarly, don't go TOO far off the beaten path without spares, tools & recovery gear.
On the diesel -- you will sink FAR more into that swap than you will EVER get out of it, MPG / $$ wise or performance wise. Cool factor is up to you but for the cost of that conversion kit (engine, labor & add ons not included) you could build & swap in a stroker with similar numbers and BETTER performance for low speed / dirt road junk.
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for diesels in XJs. If you have the money to burn, hell, why not? Just don't try to fool anyone (yourself included) into believing it is practical.

If the wheels you like aren't available below an 18, like a different wheel...If you're going to be doing a lot of exploration away from big cities and whatnot, you're going to want a 15" wheel so that if get more flats than you have spares, you'll have an easier time of finding a replacement tire. Most places carry 15" tires, many do not carry 18s when you get into small town America.

I to wanted an expendtion XJ, so two years ago built my stock DD 2001 Classic into what I thought would work.
Clayton 4" long arm great ride on and off the road, 4.56 gearing, SYE kit, Iron Scorpion front bumper and warn DX9000 on a quick mount. Rear bumper is by Detours mod by me to hold spare tire 33", 5 gal gas can, can hold up to two, and the mount for a highlift. Plus a number of skid plates.
Top Hat Rack for the roof tent, also roof basket for other stuff water, chain saw, recovery gear etc.
I have been driving this turck as my DD with most of thr acc removed. I run a 15" rim with 31 or 33 and I have been very happy with the results I would not change a thing well maybe a 4TB.

Back