• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another axle question

frozen chosen

NAXJA Forum User
So I called and talked to the local JY yesterday to find out about changing my D35 for a 8.25 or a 44 and to find out what they would charge....Did not get the answer I thought I would..The guy told me that he would sell me a 97 8.25 which should be a 29sp for $450.00 or the D44 for $375.00...I thought the D44 would be the better axle and would cost more. anyone have any ideas as to why the 44 would be cheaper?

Your getting screwed. If junk yards are wanting that much for an axle you could probably get one shipped to you for less. I don't pay anymore than 90 for an axle around here!

For 450 or even 375 you better not have to buy a single thing for it!

Ouch, thats still kind of pricey. Do you have a U-pull it junkyard closer to you? Axles are much cheaper there, since you do the work of getting it out. You may also find someone looking to sell their axle cheaper locally, thats how i got my 8.8...200 bux and it was already set up for an xj.

I live in the middle of no where and there are only 2 yards within 100-150 miles of me...These guys know they have a market and make you pay when you go to them..I don't get too much from them and this time of year you can't get into the yards to even see what they have or if you could you still couldn't see what they have due to the 40+ in. of snow that has been blown around to cover everything up on the ground... I just thought the 44 would be more money because of what it is... Am I thinking wrong that the 44 is better than the 8.25...That is what I have read everywhere...???

That sure doesnt sound right,you better be absolutely positive on the axles they are quoting you for.I certainly cant beleive they are going to sell you a "rare" D44 for less than a "buy them all day long" C8.25!

At one time, the D44 was the only bolt-in upgrade, was "rare" and commanded a high price. A 29 spline 8.25 or an 8.8 is comparable in strength, you can search the threads and debate pro's and con's of the 3 axles. If it was a choice between just what that local JY has, I'd take the D44. . . If it is a D44, they may just have an 87, and assume that's what it is. . .

The 44 is better. The yard is basing the prices off of the year the axles came out of; they are assuming the newer axle is worth more because its newer, lower mileage etc.

Outside of the hardcore Jeep community most people wouldn't know the difference between a 44, 8.25 or D35. Their Jeep gets in an accident, the axle gets bent and the shop calls and gets one same year or newer, same gear ratio.

D 44 and the 8.25 are very close in strength... Id go with the 44 just because it’s the cheaper axle. It’s probably only cheaper because it’s coming out of a 1980's car vs. a newer 1997 car... You’re also probably calling a recycling yard or scrap yard, because here at least junk yards like pick n pull don’t know what they have, the recycling and scrap yards have everything already parted out and inventoried and that’s why they charge more.
It’s not a horrible deal, but you’re definitely not getting a steal. 44/8.25s sell for $200 all said and done at the junk yards here and about $350 on the forums.

Be carefull taking the word of the JY, as was stated, they dont know what each Jeep has in it. Make sure you know what the axles look like before you pick it up. When I got my D44 from the yard they kept trying to pass off a D35 from another Jeep telling me there was no difference.
The prices are pretty high but if thats what the going rate is where you are, then thats what it is.
They are charging you more for a newer axle. If you get the D44 consider that it is at least 20 years old and probably has been sitting in the yard for a few years. You will need to go through it and possibly do new seals, maybe new bearings where as the newer 8.25 is probably good to go the way it is. The D44 will have bigger brakes and will be a little stronger so which one suites you will depend on what your goals for the Jeep are.

Try and find someone local. Around me at least, 8.25's go for $100-200 depending on condition, and D44's go for $250-300 depending. If anything I would find a 31 spline 8.8 out of an Explorer. Especially if you can get your hands on one with disc brakes and a LSD.

Back