• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Check your credit card receipts

old_man

NAXJA Forum User
I just noticed something on my credit card. I charged $10.26 on my card and :

Country Store #290
7602 South College Avenue
Fort Collins, Colorado 80525

Thought that they could make a few extra percent of profit by rounding my charge up to $11.00. While it isn't going to break me, if they make a habit of this, expecially on gas purchases where you don't get the receipt, it could add up to some serious money over a year's time. Refusing the receipt is the same as saying charge me what ever you want, I can't argue if I don't have a receipt.

I got on their company website and flamed them and have called the credit card company to complain. I am also talking to the District Attorney to see if there have been any other complaints.

good point, however I dont seem have that problem around here. I always fill gas exactly at every $5. EX: $40 or $45, etc so It will be easy for me to catch them to charge me oddly.

good point, however I dont seem have that problem around here. I always fill gas exactly at every $5. EX: $40 or $45, etc so It will be easy for me to catch them to charge me oddly.

i do something similar, i allways end at like xx.05, much easier.

but yeah! when times are tough, scumbag gas station clerks get greedy. absolutely!

old_man: got a telephone number? wouldnt a charge-back do much more trouble?

I'm kind of stubborn. If somebody takes me or challenges me, I don't care what it costs, either time or money, I take it to the bitter end. I had one guy call me a litigious bastard and my reply was "don't forget it". He stiffed me $11,000 on a contract. It ended up costing him about $50,000 between damages and lawyer fees.

The one at I25/34 did that to me too... Watch the transaction online though. Once it actually "posted" to the account it was the correct amount.

Charter cable company decided they wanted $312.34 from my checking account today. I pay my bill online automatically and out of the blue they charge me that ridiculous fee! I called expecting for an easy fix but 2 hours later and me getting pretty heated they still didn't believe me that they took the money even after I offered to email them a screen shot of my statement.

I worked my way up the chain and once I got to a regional manager my money was refunded but it will take a few business days for it to enter my account.

Needless to say I will be going to my local office in person and paying with a check from now on!!!

Oh if anyone wants to know the fee they charged me was a industrial installation fee and some other smaller fees it was hard even convincing them that I lived in a house and not a large business.

Last edited:
Charter cable company decided they wanted $312.34 from my checking account today.

They're not any better if you make one-time payments. I had a slightly different problem with them several times in the five years or so I had cable TV with them: they would run the same payment transaction twice, effectively double-debiting my account.

Charter's usual attitude to this when I'd call their customer service line was that a) this never happens and b) upon discovering that it did, they would give me a service credit. Unacceptable; I wasn't giving them a free loan of my money for 30 days, nor was I reworking my budget to accommodate their error. This was usually met with a lot of foot-dragging about how it would take six to eight weeks to process the paperwork to issue a refund... No, we're not doing that either.

The next step was to go through three levels of increasingly-difficult supervisors and managers until you got to the person who could give the OK to issue the refund within 48-72 hours. Naturally, each one would deliver the same patronising lecture about 'only clicking the submit button once when paying your bill online', completely oblivious to the fact that it was their phone-based system via which I had paid the bill when the screwup occurred.

Screw Charter. I'm pretty certain that if I hadn't caught the overcharge they would have just let it quietly go.

Watch out for those gift card credit cards too,sometimes they hold all the money on the card for a day or two when you buy gas with it.. I had one and bought a few dollars worth of gas ,and then went into the store to buy a few $ worth of crap..It got declined and the lady said there was "0$ left on it ..do you want me to throw it away?", I wasnt really thinking/keeping track and said "sure"..But now that I think about it there should have been about 10$ left on it,and she had to have known what was going on, and got away with my money..

bummer... I thought I was the only one to do that! ha. You guys set your alarm clocks to odd times?? like, 7:32, rather than just 7:30? :looney:

But, I have never had anyone change numbers on my credit card... that really low. Good for the OP to fight it. I never turn down a receipt. Credit cards are dangerous!!! be wise!

I'm a firm believer in the get a receipt thing, but then I actually go though them every once in a while and check.

Back