• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Long arm upgrade...which one?

JeepAddict85

NAXJA Forum User
Looking at the Clayton and Treks Offroad long arm upgrades. Any suggestions, feedback if you have them, or reviews would be appreciated. Treks is bolt on I think? And looks like the clayton requires some welding.
I do like the full belly pan from Treks, it offers more protection underneath.

Thanks Guys...

Well, I already have 4.5" rubicon coils/leaves on the way, so im only looking for an 'upgrade'. Ill have to look into full traction, im assuming you mean its not a radius arm setup?

I like my Clayton Kit I don't think I could break it if I wanted to.

Loving my Clayton set-up. Works great for me, and was easy to weld on. I have no experience with other Long Arm kits, but I feel very confident that the jeep itself will fold long before the Clayton arms will.

DSCN0734.jpg

So radius arm setups are not considered 4 link? Sorry if thats a dumb question...

What are the benefits to retaining the 4 link, over going with a radius?
Also, by 3 link to you mean only using 1 upper arm?

Thanks for the responses guys...

So radius arm setups are not considered 4 link? Sorry if thats a dumb question...

What are the benefits to retaining the 4 link, over going with a radius?
Also, by 3 link to you mean only using 1 upper arm?

Thanks for the responses guys...

Yes a radius arm is a type of 4-link suspension. There are a variety of suspension designs out there (wishbone, radius arm, double-triangulated 4-link, etc). Just do some research. Pirate4x4 usually has quite a bit of good information.

Radius arm suspensions (like Clayton's, TNT, RE, or Rustys) have a tendency to unload on steep climbs. This is just a result of the suspension geometry. While I have not felt this myself yet, I know several others who have. I also know others that are totally fine with radius arms. You kind of have to make your own call.

3-link uses one upper arm yes.

Binding from any 4 link results from the opposing arms traveling on different planes during articulation. The easiest way to explain it (the way someone explained it to me) is if you make "V"s with your hands using your index and middle finger and point them away from you. Now point your left hand a little up, and notice what happens. Your left fingers, acting as the driver's side UCA and LCA, want to pull the axle back and the pinion down, while your right hand wants to push the axle forward and the pinion up. This binding is commonly dispensed through the use of rubber bushings.

Make sense?

Depends. 3 link > 4 link for rockcrawling and trailriding.

I'd assume a 4 link works better for prerunning / highspeed.

actually guys use the 3 link for jeepspeed as well, so it seems the most beneficial to just go straight to a 3 link.

I finished installing my rock krawler 3 link a couple weeks ago, haven't wheeled it yet, but for mall crawlin it's great
:D

basically meaning it drives better now than stock

Ok, thanks MoparManiac for the info, that helps a bit. Still have more researching to do I guess (theres plenty i dont know, thats for sure!). On the 3 link, does the single upper arm have to be made a lot stronger, since its now the only upper link?

Who makes the 3 link setup?

Last edited:
There are plenty of 3-link vs. 4-link vs. radius arms threads, so I'll just answer the original question. I had bothe the TnT/Treks kit and dumped it in favor of the Claytons. I bent the TnT belly pan a few times and it was a pain in the ass to take off if you want to work on anything.

I notices a slight increase in articulation with the Claytons, but most of all, they're just flat out stronger.

-----Matt-----

I have said this in numerous threads before..... If you are building your rig for rock crawling,and want to buy a pre-fabbed long arm kit, my vote is for the Rock Krawler 3 Link. I have beaten the snot out of my RK 3 link on many trails in JV for the last 2 years, its performed flawlessly. Great articulation, no binding. I make sure i grease the joints & keep good bushings in them. Lower arms are 2" solid steel. The shit is tough!

and I forget which company... but you can buy a stronger/better joint that will thread right into the rock crawler ends.

Back