• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Warning to all with factory driving lights

tchase

NAXJA Forum User
Just thought I'd warn you all about this. Our '89 start billowing smoke from under the hood last sunday,open the hood to find lots of melted wiring. The power wire in the right side driving light had shorted to the housing, upon opening it up I see how tight it is in there and must say that any deterioration of the wires could lead to major problems. No fuses or anything blew it just melted the whole light harness plus one wire in the main harness. Do yourselves a favor and check these out before you have a krispy kritter of your own.

It's all fixed now except for some broken off park light attachment screws, any tips on repairing those?

Just one of the reasons I use the hella fused relay to put the Mopar add on wiring kit in my 98XJ...it is mounted/fused as close to the source as I can get it..

When I first bought my Waggy I replaced the drive lights and noticed that the upgraded lights started to cut in and out... Eventually I just rewired the drive and high beams through relays and my own wiring triggering from the stock steup but powered straight from the battery. Huge improvement.

apparently those older xj's catch fire more than we know. about 3 years back some kid at a high school in town got a new jeep after his 87ish with an 8" skycrapper caught fire in the engine bay.

RichP said:
Just one of the reasons I use the hella fused relay to put the Mopar add on wiring kit in my 98XJ...it is mounted/fused as close to the source as I can get it..
Ditto. I cooked a fog/driving light switch in mine, installed a fused hella relay.

I´ve had pretty good luck, packing the stripped hole, with a quick set epoxy glue (even on occasion a drop of super glue, depending on how bad the threads are) and coating the screw (and anything else that contacts the screw hole and surrounding area) with grease (or car wax/which actually works better), put it in there just snug enough to stay put. When you take it out the next time, be carefull not to over tighten.
If you use car wax to coat the screw, let it dry and leave the dull powder on there, works better.

Did they get the wiring from the GM G-Van line? Mom's '87 fullsize van did that in september to Dad and me, only it was the DS lowbeam headlight's wires, and it even took out the starter!

Back