• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front end vibes, not death wobble

in_motion

NAXJA Forum User
1996 - 4.0 - 2wd - Auto

A couple of days ago, after a full day of driving with no issues, I randomly started getting a regular pulse from the front end. It seemed to get faster with speed and immediately thought "warped rotor". Got home and smoke is POURING out of the drivers front wheel well. That's awesome. I peek under and it's just all smoke, can't tell where it's coming from. I let it cool down, pull the wheel and look at the brake. The rotor spins freely and I can't discern any irregularities.

Drive it the next day on a short trip, no issue. Drive it all day today and it starts again in the drive home. Damn.

Just went on a taco bell run and noticed the steering wheel is pointed further to the right than usual. Hit the brakes and it goes back to center. Hit the gas, Jeep wants to pull left.

Sorry for that book, but what is going on and why only after long trips? Is the caliper locking up or not returning on the guide pins? I might be able to look into it more tomorrow, but it's the CR-V's turn to go under the knife. Figures it starts acting up when I need it to pull through...

Thanks in advance!

Does sound like a sticking caliper.
Is it the guide pins? Disassembly should answer that.
I suspect the caliper since it is sticking when hot.
Good chance the rotor is cooked too.

I have used this front brake kit on my 97 XJ, for the last several years, as well as on the my brother's 2000. They work great for the price, hot or cold.
POWER STOP KC2119 http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...heel+hub,caliper,+rotor+&+brake+pad+kit,14204

Awesome, thanks for the reply. I love Rock Auto and actually just put the Power Stop brake kit in the rear of my CR-V. Great product so far!

Out of curiosity still, why would this problem only start after a full day of driving? Would a rotor warp when hot but straighten when cool?

Just went on a taco bell run and noticed the steering wheel is pointed further to the right than usual. Hit the brakes and it goes back to center. Hit the gas, Jeep wants to pull left.

Bad or failing unit/wheel bearing?

As the caliper warms up, the piston expands causing it to eventually bind. The longer it is driven the worse it gets. My gut tells me the caliper needs replacing as well as the pads and rotor(s).

Would a rotor warp when hot but straighten when cool?

I suppose its possible, but very unlikely. rotors are like $15. replace it so you don't have to pull it apart later to mess with an undoubtedly warped rotor.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Looks like more brake work in my future. Gonna get that Power Stop caliper/rotor/pad kit. Always have had great experience with them!

Back