• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AFE cold air intake installed, check engine light comes on

cherokee chuck

NAXJA Forum User
:dunno: :dunno: My son installed an AFE cold air intake on his 95 4.0, it was o.k. untill he replaced the exhaust & removed the collapsed cat[no green lectures please, it's a trail rig & I didn't do it anyway] & now the check engine light comes on after a few minutes & it feels like it's starving for air at higher rpms.I ran a search before this post but I know there must be a thread on this somewhere.

Last edited:
most likely an o2 sensor issue...sounds like it leaning out the mix too much...
technically im a noob on this forum si i wouldn't trust myself unless someone else backs it up

My 96 had an O2 sensor right at the cat (and the exhaust manifold). Do you remember unplugging anything pullin it off? My bro had a 95 and drilled out the cat and it ran like a dream. It sounds like the computer's getting a bad signal. I hate to sound like a monkey but have you checked that all the sensors are hooked back up? That's all I can think of.

I don't think its the o2 sensor. I have a 96 4.0 aftermarket exhaust, and I haven't had my down flow o2 sensor plugged in in over 2yrs. I had a similar problem before, turned out to be fuel injectors electrical jack not seated all the way on 2 of them. But hey, every situation is different so who knows.

badron said:
Pull code or have code pulled and start from there.

have fun with that. it's OBDI

i thought you had to bring it to a dealer and it costs a lot more $...? i've never done it, so i might be wrong.

:cheers: Thanks for the input people. Tested the O2 sensor & that was the problem. Evidently just pulling it out of the old head pipe & installing it in the new one was enough to make it go bad.

Back