• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lost my wheel lock adapter....

1st thing I'll mention, I'm a former tire guy and think locks are a joke. They just keep the feeble minded crack fiends from stealin' your wheels. If I wanted your wheels and you had locks, what's to stop me from stealin' your ride? Better yet, going online and buying lock a breaker? http://www.amazon.com/Sunex-International-SUN2840-Hubcap-Removal/dp/B000GTJE84 2 choices, buy one yourself or head down to your local Dicount Tire Company and ask for a rotation. They will ask you for your key but play stupid. They will then ask you if you want the locks removed. Takes about 5 minutes to remove 'em. Done several, since I worked there for a few years... You'll have to pay for 4 new lugs and the roto. Cost's about the same either way. Bottom line is this, any Joe-Blow can buy these kits, what's the point of the locks? If you really must have a set, Gorilla makes good stuff. Hope this helps!

Gotta buddy with a set of Mac removers, headin' to the junkyard makes me feellike a god! :)

Last edited:
well i know they're nothing special, but i wanted to fix this little "problem" in the cheapest manner possible

could i pull these locks off with a strap wrench??

J-Roc said:
spun them off with a vice grip as well, nothing special about reggin nuts.

That's how I did it last time a guy on the trail needed to change a tire for his spare and didn't have the locking lug key socket.

they're pretty smooth though......i would think the vice grips wouldn't be able to get enough clamping force

you need to wrap the teeth/jaws (whatever you call them) with anything??

For really tough ones....weld a spare lugnut to the end of the lock, then you can use a regular wrench on them. Buy new locks with a new key, and you're good to go.

Back