• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

modified hood release cable?

montanaman

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Folks:

A few years ago, I replaced my hood release cable with a new one from Team Cherokee. I lubed it with special cable lube, and lubed ALL of the moving parts that open the hood, but it never was very good or smooth feeling. Now I can barely open the hood ... I have to give it a massive pull -- even though I've relubed everything again..

Has anyone ever modified the OEM design, or fabbed a custom release? I'm thinking of some lever sticking out the front a little so that you can move the release rod from the front of the vehicle. Or ... any other ideas would be welcome!!

This is a PITA part of the xj design, and it would be a good candidate for custom solution.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks for responding. When I installed the new cable, I lubed the two latches and tested them ... smooth as butter. I took off the bell housing in the middle ... the thing the cable attaches to. I rebuilt it and made sure it was smooth. The cable lever and cable itself were lubed with motorcycle cable lube, and the pull handle moved very smoothly before it was installed.

So, each individual component was smooth and moved effortlessly. But ... when everything was put together, it was definitely not smooth. It seems the square rod coming off the pull handle under the dash has some binding. It feels like it's binding there.

I wonder if the installation bolts are too tight? Maybe that would induce some stress/binding on the lever assembly?

It's dark now, I'll go out tomorrow and loosen the installation bolts to see if that helps.

Just a thought.

But what I'd really like to do is fab a custom solution that is bulletproof and less finicky.

Thanks again, and please keep the ideas coming.

Your also pulling against the latch/springs, have you lubed them?

Back