• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project Scope Creep (alfred): Rear Axle Swap turned into Shackles&Relocation Brackets

Re: Project Scope Creep: Rear Axle Swap turned into Shackles & Relocation Brackets

I am all ears.

5/16" center pins?

Four 2 1/2" sets of clamps?

It looks like no problems getting the clamps quickly from Amazon, but the only pins I can find with Prime are 3/8". A quick search tells me I need 5/16". How much of a pain is it to open up each leaf to 3/8"?

Hardened steel, ain't gonna happen.

Use grade8 allen head cap screws or standard bolts.

Used grinder/belt sander to size head......chuck bolt in cordless drill.........size head.

Re: Project Scope Creep: Rear Axle Swap turned into Shackles & Relocation Brackets

I went this route also:

http://www.northamericanxjassociation.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1135051

I also would order some lift springs and stock shackles if I had it to do again. A month in, with no hard wheeling and the springs are starting to droop. I may try a bastard pack with the old springs combined with the new ones. Should have just started over with lift springs.

Stepping back and considering things, this probably would have been a much better course to take:

https://www.carid.com/arb/3-0-ome-rear-leaf-spring-mpn-cs034ra.html

In fact it still might be the best course forward.

Agreed. The stock springs just don't have the support needed for relocators and longer shackles.

Fwiw you could go with the no lift relocation brackets if you dont end up liking the added lift of the new leafs. These are what I tend to reccomend for the comp shackles as well.

Last edited:

I have toyed with the no lift, but I don't want to hack up that spring pocket. In spite of the poor maintenance by POs, this XJ still has a lot of life left in it.

I have toyed with the no lift, but I don't want to hack up that spring pocket. In spite of the poor maintenance by POs, this XJ still has a lot of life left in it.

I understand. IMO though the no lift brackets effectively make for a much stronger mount eventhough your cutting off the oem sheetmetal. I really like how they bolt through the floor with a backing plate. Also with the box higher up and out of the way, the shackle becomes less of a rock anchor.

Again just my humble opinion

I am all ears.

5/16" center pins?

Four 2 1/2" sets of clamps?

It looks like no problems getting the clamps quickly from Amazon, but the only pins I can find with Prime are 3/8". A quick search tells me I need 5/16". How much of a pain is it to open up each leaf to 3/8"?
I used grade 8 5/16" allen head bolts with small washers and nuts. May have to open up lear spring pad hole a bit.

Back