• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Jeep in my door yard

Thanks guys, I appreciate the support!

Next thing on the calendar was the tube work. I decided to do the main vertical supports, bumpers and tubes that may make contact from .188" wall the the balance .125" wall. It's all 1-5/8" OD. I have 180* dies that size and smaller diameters are more dent resistant and take up less space. The bend dies were really the reason.

Early on in the project I added a 2X4X3/16" cross member welded to the top of the boxed frame that goes from from rocker to rocker at what seemed like the ideal location of a main roll bar hoop.

The thought is to build a normal 4 point cage inside the vehicle with short extending out to the upper "rack", some supports in the rear and external A pillar tubes (.188") and forward extending tubes.

Mid cross member.

IMG_4408 by barnstormerbikes, on Flickr

I did the whole assembly without many photos of the process.

Untitled by barnstormerbikes, on Flickr

With room for a tire above the fuel tank.

More tubes.

After all this planning I end up assembling and welding the entire halo assembly with the B cross bar 3" rearward of the B node. Otherwise it's fine. I will love it regardless.

The upper halo assembly is very rectangular in shape. I thought about contouring it to the top but opted for a flat surface on top for a camper or something. I started the A tubes and rejected this one.

IMG_4412 by barnstormerbikes, on Flickr

and opted for one that connects a little rearward that has two bends on a single plane.

I welded them to the body, rockers and halo.

Next thing is the cowl spreader. I need wipers and a hood so I bent the tube around the wiper outputs and will make new external hood hinges so the whole thing works (in theory)

OK so you are completely caught up.

Next thing is tubes forward! Thanks for looking.

Main hoop with supports

I love seeing that this is still moving forward.

The T-case and shifters look great, but I have to wonder where you are going to sit. I hope you are not as tall as me. I don't think I could solve that problem for myself.

I love seeing that this is still moving forward.

The T-case and shifters look great, but I have to wonder where you are going to sit. I hope you are not as tall as me. I don't think I could solve that problem for myself.

Because the AX15 is pretty short the seat only overlaps the hump by a little bit. I am 5'10" and have some space between the bottom of my leg and the top of the hump. I am going to try a couple of options and if they don't work out, Ill make a seat that works. I like the idea of making a seat specifically for the application with a platform that allows me to scoot toward the window.

I pushed some metal out the front. I am pretty happy with the result. I have to tie it in to the front cross member with space for the winch.

Here is the main tube with my cardboard winch place holder.

I added some strangulation LOL>

OK, there ya are.

Ill get this all braced up and tied in shortly. Here is a profile shot with the hood closed. Thanks for looking.

All that started with a bent LCA mount. I hate it when a project snowballs like that. :roflmao:

It's common around here.

I am going to convert my AC pump to air compressor service. If that fails Ill buy a compressor.

The front tubes and winch mount went forward. Not sure how it will end. :smoker:

I bent a couple of tube from cross member to front hoop.

I laid out a winch mounting surface.

I made a wedge using the mounting surface and the bash. I cut tubes and welded them to the underside of the winch surface then cut holes in the bash.

Then I assembled the pieces and welded away.

Sorry the photos don't show a lot. Trying to get stuff done when it's raining or snowing I am just hauling ass.

My thought going forward to to make a triangle of thick tube projecting out from the frame rail which joins a tube projecting out from the "wedge".

Winter is here so I am not getting a lot done outdoors on a steady basis. I did start on a vent/catch can for the gear boxes.
I had read a write up on a DIY unit but it was easier to just use found items.

I had a piece of brass tube, an air compressor filter, copper pipe coupling (turned down) little piece of stainless filler wire and the ball bearing that had been on my work bench for months.

The BB won't fit through the hole in the filter and I shortened the coupling so the end of the male pipe threads made contact in the coupling. There is room in the nipple for air to get around the BB. I then drilled the hole cross-ways and put the wire through to prevent the ball from falling out and into the catch can.

I took some aluminum scrap and a pipe fitting and welded them together. I figured if one box urped a little into the can, I didn't want it running into one of the others so I added a little tube at the pipe fitting.

then a drain valve and mounting tab

Back